How can I download HDFview?

Hello, sorry I’m very new to the subject. I have a netCDF file and I want to open the file, but I was not successful. As far as I researched, HDFview can open files with .nc extension. I tried to install HDFview on Windows 10 operating system but could not. Although I did not read the instructions, I could not. Can you help me? It is very important to my thesis.

Some Windows 10 installations (e.g., supplied by university or the enterprise that employs you) limit what you can install. If you are using a modern language (R, Matlab, Python, etc.) there is usually support for NetCDF files with grid data. If you file has mapped data, current GIS versions should be able to display it. NASA Panoply is a reliable free standalone viewer for NetCDF mapped grids, but may not be available on restricted installations.

If your NetCDF file is public, it might help to post a link along with the name and version of your preferred programming language.

I thank you for your answer. I can partially view the file using R studio. But I want to see the whole file. I installed HDFview for this, but the program does not open in Windows. I can’t understand where I went wrong. I cannot upload the file as I am a new user. The file contains the 2019-2020 Total column water vapor data from ERA5 hourly data on single levels from 1979 to present.

Hello!

Did you install either the HDFView-3.1.1-win10_64-vs15.zip or HDFView-3.1.1-win10_64-vs16.zip binary and uncompress that? Did any errors or messages pop up when installing?

Please send any details to the HDF Helpdesk and I can help you walk through the issues from there. Just send a message to: help@hdfgroup.org

Thanks!
-Barbara

Hello, I did what you said yes. I completed the setup did not give any warning or error messages. Icon stands on the table. But when I want to run the program, its interface does not open. I tried to run it as administrator but it still didn’t work.

Ok. Try going to the location of the HDFView installation and running the hdfview.bat file. For example, on my machine, HDFView is installed in:
C:\Program Files\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1

where I see:

doc
jre
lib
samples
hdfview.bat

I can go to that directory in windows explorer and double-click on the hdfview.bat file to bring up HDFView.

If that does not work, try going to the installation directory in a command prompt, and running it from there. Are errors displayed in the window?

Thanks!
-Barbara

I downloaded it from https://www.hdfgroup.org/downloads/hdfview/. But the downloaded file contains only the following files
Readme.txt
HDFview-3.1.1.msi
COPYING

Ok. You should execute the HDFview-3.1.1.msi file and follow the prompts.
-Barbara

It installs when I run it. The problem starts after it is installed.

Can you go to the installation and run the hdfview.bat file?

I also have only these in the setup section. Nothing happens when I run hdfview.

Do I need to download anything other than this? Maybe that’s why it doesn’t happen.

Code you open a command prompt at the installation folder and execute the hdfview.bat. There may be a system message.

Allen

No, you should have everything you need. Can you bring up a command prompt and run the hdfview.bat file? Are there errors?

HDFView does allow you to change the location of the installation if need be.

-Barbara

Since you have the desktop icon you can check the Properties of the icon, which should

display the location of your hdfview.bat. As suggested, try opening a terminal, changing

to the directory of hdfvew.bat,and running it on the command line to see if you get any

error messages.

I tried with the location of the downloaded file;
C:\Users\A>C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1
‘C:\Users\A’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I tried with the location I got from the properties of the icon on the desktop;
C:\Users\A>C:\Users\A \Desktop
‘C:\Users\A’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Or use "C:…> “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1\hdfview.bat”

“it didn’t work” doesn’t give us much to work with Did an HDFview window open? Was there an error
message? If you just get a new command prompt with no visible consequences from running

the script, you may have a corrupt file, your system may not have a file association for batch

files, or you may have a “security enhanced” configuration (Windows 10 S, university or corporate

“enterprise” configuration) that blocks batch files (and usually any unapproved 3rd party apps).

You can check the size and date of your hdfview.bat file:

C:>dir “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1\hdfview.bat”

Volume in drive C is OS

Volume Serial Number is 1648-9495

Directory of C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1

2020-04-30 08:45 AM 1,763 hdfview.bat

1 File(s) 1,763 bytes

0 Dir(s) 99,241,693,184 bytes free

Some editors will change the encoding of the file. Batch files should be UTF-8.

To check file associations: try to run another batch file, or use notepad to create

a “simple.bat” file with the line “@echo This is simple.bat” and see if it runs.

I got a different message in gmail. The terminal should look like:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.546]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\A>

It looks like you are entering the command prompt (C:\Users\A>) in front of your actual command:

C:\Users\A>C:\Users\A>C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1

What you should use is:

C:\Users\A>%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\HDF_Group\HDFView\3.1.1\hdfview.bat

The terminal looks the way you say it. Command
C: \ Users \ A> “C: \ Users \ A \ AppData \ Local \ HDF_Group \ HDFView \ 3.1.1 \ hdfview.bat”. When I press Enter, it goes to the bottom line without any warning or error and the program does not run.

Is hdfview.bat file the same date and size as shown in my post? Can you run simple.bat?