Write Simulation Data Line by Line

Dear HDFgroup,

I am concerned with, I guess, a relatively simple problem.

I currently conduct a simulation where I track time, position and orientation of one particle for a given number of simulation steps. The task is: Simply write this data to a h5-file.

So far, I did this using Jupyter. With the h5py-package it is very simple to create a data set of predefined structure (columns x rows) via

outfile = h5py.File("outfile.h5", "w")
dset = outfile.create_dataset("dsetname", (number_of_lines, number_of_columns))

and then write the data line by line for each simulation time step to the data set like

dset[time_step] = np.array([t, x, phi])

Now, I moved to C++, implemented the simulation there and would like to store the data in the same way I used to do it with Python.

However, from this basic example, one would have to store the whole set of data in an array and then write its content to the h5 file.

This is not very elegant. As I did with Python, I would like to just write the data line by line to the HDF5 data set on the fly – and not store the (sometimes up to several GB) large amounts of data in an array.

Unfortunately, so far, I did not find a way how I can implement the procedure I used with Python in C++.

Has anybody ever encountered a similar problem and could show me a way how to solve this problem?

Thank you!

Best,
Sven

This wasn’t as simple as I’d hoped either: as far as I can tell, you have to learn a few things about hyperslabs and HDF5’s datatypes to really do it properly. In your example you also might benefit from using compound datatypes, which that example doesn’t cover either.

The basic procedure is:

• Define a pair of CompTypes that describes this data type. This is a bit tricky because you need two types: the in-memory representation (which is used when you call DataSet::write(...) to tell HDF5 what it’s looking at) and the on-disk representation (which is used when you define the dataset, and can be a copy of the memory version where you’ve called CompType::pack())
  • Fill a buffer object with the data you want to write. If these are structs which you don’t expect to change, it can be a vector of structs. You can also do this one entry at a time with no buffering, but writing in batches will reduce the amount of time you spend on IO.
  • Define a pair of DataSpace objects. Again, this is tricky because you actually need two of them: one that describes the in-memory space, and one that describes the on-disk space. In the on-disk case you’ll have to select the destination hyperslab. You need to pass both of the DataSpace objects into DataSet::write(...) when you write.
  • Write
  • Repeat, starting from step 2: empty the buffer object and start filling it again.

The HDF5 C++ wrappers still deal a lot with void pointers, and of course C++ doesn’t have much in the way of reflection so it’s a bit of work to make make things type safe

It’s not the simplest example, but this code does something close to what you want. Unfortunately I wrote it to work for dynamically defined compound data types, so it’s a bit more than you probably need.

Greetings!

Did you try H5CPP, an easy to use compiler assisted template library that introduces relaxed function prototypes, optimized/profiled HDF5 CAPI calls and hides the details so you can start right away?
While the library is under heavy development it is functional, supports major linear algebra systems as well as arbitrary deep POD types with seamless compiler assistance, and the STL vector.

How simple can it get?

h5::write( "arma.h5", "arma vec inside matrix",  V // object contains 'count' and rank being written
            ,h5::current_dims{40,50}  // control file_space directly where you want to place vector
            ,h5::offset{5,0}            // when no explicit current dimension given current dimension := offset .+ object_dim .* stride (hadamard product)  
            ,h5::stride{4,4}, h5::block{3,3}
            ,h5::max_dims{40,H5S_UNLIMITED} )
// wouldn't it be nice to have unlimited dimension? 
// if no explicit chunk is set, then the object dimension is
// used as unit chunk

The above example is to demonstrate partial create + write with extendable datasets which can be turned into high performance packet table: h5::pt_t by a simple conversion h5::pt_t pt = h5::open( ... ) , h5::pt_t pt = h5::create(...) or h5::pt_t pt = ds where h5::ds_t ds = ....

h5::create | h5::read | h5::write | h5::append take RAII enabled descriptors or CAPI hid_t ones – depending on conversion policy: seamless or controlled fashion. The optional arguments may be placed in any order, compile time computed and come with intelligent compile time error messages.

h5::write( "arma.h5", "arma vec inside matrix",  V 
      ,h5::stride{4,4}, h5::block{3,3}, h5::current_dims{40,50} 
      ,h5::offset{5,0}, h5::max_dims{40,H5S_UNLIMITED}  );

Wouldn’t it be nice not to have to remember everything? Focus on the idea, write it out intuitively and refine it later. The function construct below compiles into the same instructions as above.

h5::write( "arma.h5", "arma vec inside matrix",  V 
      ,h5::max_dims{40,H5S_UNLIMITED}, h5::stride{4,4},  h5::current_dims{40,50}
      ,h5::block{3,3}, h5::offset{5,0},   );

Why should you know about HDF5 at all, isn’t it work about ideas? the details can be filled in later when needed:

// supported objects:  raw pointers | armadillo | eigen3 | blaze | blitz++ | it++ | dlib | uBlas | std::vector
arma::vec V(4); // some vector: armadillo, eigen3, 
h5::write( "arma.h5", "path/to/dataset name",  V);

How about some really complicated POD struct type that your client or colleague wants to see in action right now?
Invoke clang++ based h5cpp compiler on the translation unit – group of files which are turned into a single object file – and call it done!

namespace sn {
	namespace typecheck {
		struct Record { /*the types with direct mapping to HDF5*/
			char  _char; unsigned char _uchar; short _short; unsigned short _ushort; int _int; unsigned int _uint;
			long _long; unsigned long _ulong; long long int _llong; unsigned long long _ullong;
			float _float; double _double; long double _ldouble;
			bool _bool;
			// wide characters are not supported in HDF5
			// wchar_t _wchar; char16_t _wchar16; char32_t _wchar32;
		};
	}
	namespace other {
		struct Record {                    // POD struct with nested namespace
			MyUInt                    idx; // typedef type 
			MyUInt                     aa; // typedef type 
			double            field_02[3]; // const array mapped 
			typecheck::Record field_03[4]; //
		};
	}
	namespace example {
		struct Record {                    // POD struct with nested namespace
			MyUInt                    idx; // typedef type 
			float             field_02[7]; // const array mapped 
			sn::other::Record field_03[5]; // embedded Record
			sn::other::Record field_04[5]; // must be optimized out, same as previous
			other::Record  field_05[3][8]; // array of arrays 
		};
	}
	namespace not_supported_yet {
		// NON POD: not supported in phase 1
		// C++ Class -> PODstruct -> persistence[ HDF5 | ??? ] -> PODstruct -> C++ Class 
		struct Container {
			double                            idx; // 
			std::string                  field_05; // c++ object makes it non-POD
			std::vector<example::Record> field_02; // ditto
		};
	}
	/* BEGIN IGNORED STRUCT */
	// these structs are not referenced with h5::read|h5::write|h5::create operators
	// hence compiler should ignore them.
	struct IgnoredRecord {
		signed long int   idx;
		float        field_0n;
	};
	/* END IGNORED STRUCTS */

I did try to make the above include file as ugly and complicated as I could. But do you really need to read it? What if you had a technology at your disposal that can do it for you?
In your code all you have to do is to trigger the compiler by making any h5:: operations on the desired data structure. It works without the hmmm boring details?

std::vector<sn::example::Record> vec 
    = h5::utils::get_test_data<sn::example::Record>(20);
// mark vec  with an h5:: operator and delegate 
// the details to h5cpp compiler
h5::write(fd, "orm/partial/vector one_shot", vec );

H5CPP is a novel approach to persistence in the field of machine learning, it provides high performance sequential and block access to HDF5 containers through modern C++. If you liked what you see please come and see our presentation in Chicago C++ usergroup meeting on July 31

best wishes:
steven varga
the author of h5cpp