Webinar Announcement: Subfiling and Multiple dataset APIs: An introduction to two new features in HDF5 version 1.14

September 30, 11:00 a.m. Central time (US/Canada)
Register

For parallel I/O, the principle behind Subfiling is to find the middle ground between a single shared file and one file per process, thereby avoiding the complexity of one file per process and minimizing the locking issues of a single shared file on a parallel file system. The first part of the talk will cover Subfiling’s implementation, its usage, and the performance benefits observed compared to a single shared file.

The second part of the talk will introduce new HDF5 multiple dataset APIs and highlight the performance benefits when using them. The HDF5 library allows a data access operation to access one dataset at a time. However, accessing multiple datasets requires the user to issue an I/O call for each dataset. Hence, the new multiple dataset APIs allow users to access multiple datasets with a single I/O call. In addition, the new routines can improve performance, especially when data is accessed across several datasets from all processes.

Register now.

Reminder! You can learn more about two new features coming out in HDF5 1.14: Subfiling and multiple dataset APIs. This will take place on Friday September 30, at 11:00 a.m. central and will be hosted by Jordan Henderson (@jhenderson), Neil Fortner (@nfortne2) and Scot Breitenfeld (@brtnfld) and of The HDF Group. The registration link below should show the correct time, regardless of your timezone. Please register to join us:

References:

We’ll post the recording here, but would love to have you join in person.

Thanks to everyone that attended today’s webinar on Subfiling and Multiple dataset APIs: An introduction to two new features in HDF5 version 1.14. You’ll find the slide decks and recording below.

Please feel free to post here on the forum with any additional questions or comments.

Slide Decks: