Up to date openapi.yaml

Hi HSDS-Team,

I have been testing HSDS for a few days and it works really nice.
My only difficulty was that the differences between domain and folders are never really explained in the docs and there was some trail and error to figure how to use the hs cli tools.

For my use case I would like to implement the REST API in Labview and wondered if there is an up to date openapi.yaml file which I can use with swagger to test and protoype the API implementation?
I have only found this 3 year old file: hdf-rest-api/openapi.yaml at master · HDFGroup/hdf-rest-api (github.com)

Thank you!
Best regerds
Jonathan

2 Likes

Hi Jonathan, thanks for using HSDS. The REST API documentation has fallen behind, and we intend to remedy this after some upcoming changes to the attribute/link API.

To answer your other question, an HSDS domain is a representation of an HDF5 file. Each domain is associated with a root group (and potentially other groups as well, if they have been created under the domain). Each domain and group is represented as a folder in the HSDS object schema, though the hierarchy of these folders doesn’t exactly reflect the hierarchy within the HDF5 data model - see the documentation here for more detail. @jreadey Anything you’d like to add to this description?

Agree that updating the rest api docs is overdue. It would be nice to have the content in readthedocs as well.

There was some issues (can’t recall exactly what now) with using swagger the hsds openapi.yaml file. Will take another look at this and try to get it sorted out.

Thank you @mlarson and @jreadey for your answers and looking into updating the API documentation. That will be helpful.

To answer your other question, an HSDS domain is a representation of an HDF5 file. Each domain is associated with a root group (and potentially other groups as well, if they have been created under the domain). Each domain and group is represented as a folder in the HSDS object schema

That makes sense. So we might have a folder with “experiment data” and each domain in the folder would an “experiment” with some identify and the content of the domain would be the HDF5 data.

1 Like