Trouble installing HDF, internal compiler errro

I’m new to installing things myself. I’ve run into a problem and am hopeful someone may offer guidance.

When I execute ‘make’, I am told the following:

H5.c: In function ‘H5_debug_mask’:
H5.c:571:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
H5_debug_mask(const char *s)

I assume that this is a compiler problem, on my end, not an error in the hdf5 source code. I don’t exactly have administrator access on this computer, but I’d like to at least understand what’s going on here.

michael.montalbano

[Michael Montalbano](https://forum.hdfgroup.org/u/michael.montalbano)

August 20

I’m new to installing things myself. I’ve run into a problem and am hopeful someone may offer guidance.

When I execute ‘make’, I am told the following:

H5.c: In function ‘H5_debug_mask’:

H5.c:571:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

H5_debug_mask(const char *s)

I assume that this is a compiler problem, on my end, not an error in the hdf5 source code. I don’t exactly have administrator access on this computer, but I’d like to at least understand what’s going on here.

Many distros provide a more helpful message, like this one from an Ubuntu system:

g++: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)   <===
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.

In most cases, however, the quick fix is to get your system’s administrator to install the latest

upgrades to the compiler from the linux distribution. The gcc documentation may not have been

installed on your system, but is available online

Chances are that as you follow the README.Bugs instructions you will find the bug has already

been reported. Bug reports often generate some useful discussions, sometimes even suggesting

alternate code to avoid the error (useful when your administrator is on holiday or doing field work at

some remote location). Note that some linux distros install bug fixes on older compiler versions, so

having the GCC bug report can help determine if the vendor has patched the problem in an update.