Timestamps in HDF5

Hi all,
I had a question from a user about the best way to record timestamps in
HDF5. I understand that the H5T_TIME datatype is not supported/is not
portable (as mentioned in
http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5T.html#Datatype-GetClass); so is
there a portable way to save timestamps? Or is it "roll your own"?

Specifically, does HDFView have something it considers/displays as a
datestamp? In particular, say I have some compound dataset with one element
being a timestamp, and I want to scroll down to find a particular time,
what type should I use to make that easy? Obviously a Unix time integer is
one solution, but not a particularly user-friendly one.

Cheers,
Martijn

I work on the Windows side, and my first solution was to store the Windows DateTime.Ticks (similar to, but different than Unix time). But I got enough push back that I had to add a string version of the time for ease of use. It's not ideal, but they both sit in the data side-by-side.

Scott

ยทยทยท

Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:53 PM
To: HDF Users Discussion List
Subject: [Hdf-forum] Timestamps in HDF5

Hi all,
I had a question from a user about the best way to record timestamps in HDF5. I understand that the H5T_TIME datatype is not supported/is not portable (as mentioned in http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5T.html#Datatype-GetClass); so is there a portable way to save timestamps? Or is it "roll your own"?

Specifically, does HDFView have something it considers/displays as a datestamp? In particular, say I have some compound dataset with one element being a timestamp, and I want to scroll down to find a particular time, what type should I use to make that easy? Obviously a Unix time integer is one solution, but not a particularly user-friendly one.

Cheers,
Martijn

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Exelis Inc. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Exelis Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.