References to Pre-existing Datasets

Hi,

I am attempting to create HDF5 References (H5R) to existing datasets in a previously written .h5 file - and then write those references to the same file. So far, all of the examples I've seen for creating references involve writing the references and the (partial) datasets that they reference at the same time. When I try to create a reference to a pre-exisitng dataset by first using H5Dget_space to make a copy of the dataset that I want to reference, I do not get the correct result (I get a malformed reference that appears to point to the very dataset that contains the H5R reference objects.)

Has anyone tried to do this before? Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do using the HDF5 APIs?

Thanks!

···

--
*David Tagatac, M.S.*
Software Engineer
Data Products Division
NPOESS Integrated Program Office <http://www.ipo.noaa.gov/>

David,

One should be able to create datasets with region and objects references to the data previously stored.

Could you please send me a short program (or an excerpt) that demonstrates what you are trying to do?

Thank you!

Elena

···

On Feb 15, 2010, at 8:19 AM, David Tagatac wrote:

Hi,

I am attempting to create HDF5 References (H5R) to existing datasets in a previously written .h5 file - and then write those references to the same file. So far, all of the examples I've seen for creating references involve writing the references and the (partial) datasets that they reference at the same time. When I try to create a reference to a pre-exisitng dataset by first using H5Dget_space to make a copy of the dataset that I want to reference, I do not get the correct result (I get a malformed reference that appears to point to the very dataset that contains the H5R reference objects.)

Has anyone tried to do this before? Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do using the HDF5 APIs?

Thanks!

--
David Tagatac, M.S.
Software Engineer
Data Products Division
NPOESS Integrated Program Office