question about 1.10 scheduling, swmr concurrency

Hi Quincey,

We're still shooting for a beta release of 1.10.0 around November of this year. I can point you at some alpha >quality code, if you are interested in test-driving what's available now and won't keep any of the files produced.

Quincey

Sorry, I was in holiday.

Yes, I would really like to get an impression about it... Of course I
won't keep data, I just want to prepare my wrappers...
If possible, my email is gabriel.corneanu AT gmail DOT com

Thanks a lot,
Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

···

On Sep 12, 2011, at 8:46 AM, Gabriel Corneanu wrote:

Hi Quincey,

We're still shooting for a beta release of 1.10.0 around November of this year. I can point you at some alpha >quality code, if you are interested in test-driving what's available now and won't keep any of the files produced.

Quincey

Sorry, I was in holiday.

OK, you can use SVN to check out a current version of the SWMR code from this URL:

http://svn.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu/hdf5/branches/revise_chunks/

The main feature currently enabled is that when the "latest" version of the file format is used and a dataset is extended, the writer can do this without coordination with the reader (as long as they share a POSIX compatible file system - which NFS is _not_). Take a look at the "swmr_writer.c" and "swmr_reader.c" code in the test subdirectory for how to enable and leverage this behavior. Eventually, all metadata modifications will be supported for SWMR access, not just extending datasets.

Quincey

*sigh* I meant this message to only go to Gabriel. _Please_ don't grab the code in the URL below without talking to me - the files it produces _WILL NOT WORK_ with past/current/future versions of HDF5.

Quincey

···

On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:26 AM, Quincey Koziol wrote:

Hi Gabriel,

On Sep 12, 2011, at 8:46 AM, Gabriel Corneanu wrote:

Hi Quincey,

Quincey

Sorry, I was in holiday.

OK, you can use SVN to check out a current version of the SWMR code from this URL:

http://svn.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu/hdf5/branches/revise_chunks/

The main feature currently enabled is that when the "latest" version of the file format is used and a dataset is extended, the writer can do this without coordination with the reader (as long as they share a POSIX compatible file system - which NFS is _not_). Take a look at the "swmr_writer.c" and "swmr_reader.c" code in the test subdirectory for how to enable and leverage this behavior. Eventually, all metadata modifications will be supported for SWMR access, not just extending datasets.

Quincey