Problem with getting hdf5 file size

Hello,
I am currently doing a very small test to retreive the size of a just created HDF5 file using the function
H5Fget_filesize <http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5F.html#File-GetFilesize> and cannot understand why the size returned is actually different from the real one.

Here is the simple example piece of code:

hsize_t size;
hid_t file_id = H5Fcreate("file.hdf5", H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);
H5Fget_filesize( file_id, &size );

The real size of the file appears to be 800 bytes, while the size returned fromH5Fget_filesizeis 2144 bytes.

I would like to use the function H5Fget_vfd_handle to get a (char*) buffer copy of the file. Can someone help me to do that correctly ?

Many thanks,

Daniel Sentenac

Hi Daniel,

Hello,
I am currently doing a very small test to retreive the size of a just created HDF5 file using the function
H5Fget_filesize and cannot understand why the size returned is actually different from the real one.

Here is the simple example piece of code:

hsize_t size;
hid_t file_id = H5Fcreate("file.hdf5", H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);
H5Fget_filesize( file_id, &size );

The real size of the file appears to be 800 bytes, while the size returned fromH5Fget_filesize is 2144 bytes.

The library allocates a 2KB buffer to sub-allocate metadata from (in addition to the ~100 byte superblock for the file), but then truncates the file's size down to the actual amount of data used in the file, when the file is closed.

I would like to use the function H5Fget_vfd_handle to get a (char*) buffer copy of the file. Can someone help me to do that correctly ?

I would recommend against this sort of mucking with the bytes - the HDF5 library does a lot of work behind the scenes and you probably won't get a coherent picture of the file by just looking at the bytes.

That said, why do you want to do this? Possibly the "core" VFD (H5Pset_fapl_core) would meet your needs?

Quincey

···

On May 4, 2011, at 3:13 AM, Sentenac Daniel wrote: