Older Version Cannot Be Removed \ Resource Not Found

Hello!

We are working on Windows 10 Machines which are part of a Domain and synchronize their user folders. We setup some of the machines new and wanted to reinstall HDFView 3.1.4 using the .EXE installer. We always want to install the Software in C:\Program Files\HDF_Group\HDFView so it will be available to all user of the Computer.

Here, we encounter the problem that it the installer is looking for some network resource. A dialogue opens looking for C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\497375.tmp\main.msi and I do not really understand why the setup is looking for something that is not there. (See Attachments) As said the windows on this machine is completely new. There is no previous installation of HDFView. I also have the main.msi installer. When I try this one it also looks for the same strange file in AppData\Local. It does not accept itself as a main.msi. When I select the main.msi in the search dialogue it says it not accepts it. Then I cancel the search it states: “The older version of HDFView cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.” (See Attachments)

It looks to me like a chicken egg problem. I do not know who the installer assumes that there is a previous version installed. When looking through Programs and Features there is no HDFView. Also the start menu does not recognize it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Very strange indeed. Maybe some kind of registry issue? Or it needs a special permission.
We don’t specify any restrictions and go with the defaults from the java packager program.
Maybe some issue with the java packager can be searched?

Thank you very much for your suggestions and your quick reply.

I don’t think a special permission is required. I have full admin privileges on the system. Or do you have other permissions in mind?

Could you explain to me which part of the registry I should check? I could imagine that these might be shared between the machines as my user profile profile is the same in the whole windows domain.

Can I provide you with some outputs so you can have a check? I do not have any experiences with the java packager.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Not an answer as much as a workaround. Have tried not using the installer version and using the AppImage (application Image) version of HDFView. You may need to do some hand editing of paths - but maybe not given that you are syncing user settings.
Just unzip the binary where you want it to exist (preferably the same path on all machines?)

Hi!

Thank you the workaround works fine. I put the the Appimage in C:\Programs\HDF_Group\HDFView. I just had to add a link to the exe into this folder:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

so it looks like normal for everyone when opening the start menu :+1: