memory requirement

I have a HDF5 file ~500MB that is opened for parallel access and independent read (each process reads his own part of the file).

I thought the memory requirement would be 500MB/Number_of_processes...but I have memory failures and I was wondering
whether it could be much more than that ?

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

···

On Feb 14, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Collignon, Barbara C. wrote:

I have a HDF5 file ~500MB that is opened for parallel access and independent read (each process reads his own part of the file).

I thought the memory requirement would be 500MB/Number_of_processes...but I have memory failures and I was wondering whether it could be much more than that ?

It should be in that range of memory, plus a little for buffering and caching. Is the dataset chunked or contiguous?

Quincey

Well I did nt chunked anything so I guess it is contiguous

···

Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:50 AM
To: HDF Users Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hdf-forum] memory requirement

Hi Barbara,

I thought the memory requirement would be 500MB/Number_of_processes...but I have memory failures and I was wondering whether it could be much more than that ?

It should be in that range of memory, plus a little for buffering and caching. Is the dataset chunked or contiguous?

Quincey

Hi Barbara,

Well I did nt chunked anything so I guess it is contiguous

How many datasets are in the file?

Quincey

···

On Feb 15, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Collignon, Barbara C. wrote:

Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:50 AM
To: HDF Users Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hdf-forum] memory requirement

Hi Barbara,

Quincey