Large object code

Hi,

We're statically linking our binaries to HDF5 (called via the C++ bindings) and it's somewhat disturbing how big the compiled code is (about ~1.9mb). Are there preprocessor defines that will reduce this significantly?

Thanks,
-Matt

Greetings Matt,

Matthew Chambers wrote:

We’re statically linking our binaries to HDF5 (called via the C++
bindings) and it’s somewhat disturbing how big the compiled code is
(about ~1.9mb).
Why do you find this disturbing? How big a file did you expect?

Are
there preprocessor defines that will reduce this significantly?

Hmmm, why would you expect this to work? I would expect just the
opposite–i.e. that defines will bloat the executable.

Cheers,

–dan

···
-- Daniel Kahn
Science Systems and Applications Inc.
301-867-2162

Sorry I wasn't clear. That's 1.9mb of just HDF5. The total .exe size went from 3.9 to 5.8mb.

Preprocessor defines could disable parts of the code that perhaps aren't necessary for general functionality.

-Matt

···

On 8/19/2011 9:39 AM, Daniel Kahn wrote:

Greetings Matt,

Matthew Chambers wrote:

We're statically linking our binaries to HDF5 (called via the C++ bindings) and it's somewhat
disturbing how big the compiled code is (about ~1.9mb).

Are there preprocessor defines that will reduce this significantly?

Hmmm, why would you expect this to work? I would expect just the opposite--i.e. that /defines/ will
bloat the executable.

Cheers,
--dan

Matthew Chambers wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear. That's 1.9mb of just HDF5. The total .exe size went from 3.9 to 5.8mb.

I'm still not sure why this is a problem since hard disks are commonly in the range 1 to 2 tb, but if it is any consolation our codes are all statically linked and the C codes come at about 5.9 to 6.0mb. The fortran code I use is 15mb.

Preprocessor defines could disable parts of the code that perhaps aren't necessary for general functionality.

Yes, I see your point. These defines would need to be switched on/off during the build of the library, presumably as options to configure. Parallel HDF5 comes to mind...

Cheers,
--dan

···

--
Daniel Kahn
Science Systems and Applications Inc.
301-867-2162

Hi Matt,

What platform are you building on? Are you using a debug or production build of HDF5?

Quincey

···

On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Matthew Chambers wrote:

-Matt

On 8/19/2011 9:39 AM, Daniel Kahn wrote:

Greetings Matt,

Matthew Chambers wrote:

We're statically linking our binaries to HDF5 (called via the C++ bindings) and it's somewhat
disturbing how big the compiled code is (about ~1.9mb).

Are there preprocessor defines that will reduce this significantly?

Hmmm, why would you expect this to work? I would expect just the opposite--i.e. that /defines/ will
bloat the executable.

Cheers,
--dan

The 1.9mb figure comes from a Windows 32-bit release build using MSVC 2008 SP1. My rsp file for building the H5 code looks like:

"H5.c" -Fo"H5.obj"
-TC /O2 /Ob2 /W0 /GR /MD /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t /wd4996 -c
-D_SECURE_SCL=0
-DNDEBUG
-DWIN32
-D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
-D_SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
-D_SECURE_SCL_THROWS=1
-D_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_OF_SECURE_SCL_THROWS
"-I."
"-Ihdf5-1.8.7\c++\src"
"-Ihdf5-1.8.7\src"
"-Ihdf5-1.8.7\src\windows"

I'm using a hacked up Boost.Build Jamfile to do the build using the following H5pubconf.h:
http://codepad.org/wOB3CrAo

I don't remember the exact flags I used with CMake to generate it, but it was pretty basic.

-Matt

···

On 8/25/2011 9:39 AM, Quincey Koziol wrote:

Hi Matt,

What platform are you building on? Are you using a debug or production build of HDF5?

Hi Matt,

···

On Aug 25, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Matthew Chambers wrote:

On 8/25/2011 9:39 AM, Quincey Koziol wrote:

Hi Matt,

The 1.9mb figure comes from a Windows 32-bit release build using MSVC 2008 SP1. My rsp file for building the H5 code looks like:

"H5.c" -Fo"H5.obj"
-TC /O2 /Ob2 /W0 /GR /MD /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t /wd4996 -c
-D_SECURE_SCL=0
-DNDEBUG
-DWIN32
-D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
-D_SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
-D_SECURE_SCL_THROWS=1
-D_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_OF_SECURE_SCL_THROWS
"-I."
"-Ihdf5-1.8.7\c++\src"
"-Ihdf5-1.8.7\src"
"-Ihdf5-1.8.7\src\windows"

I'm using a hacked up Boost.Build Jamfile to do the build using the following H5pubconf.h:
http://codepad.org/wOB3CrAo

I don't remember the exact flags I used with CMake to generate it, but it was pretty basic.

Hmm, I'm not up on the Windows options, but a library binary on my Mac is ~6MB, so I think you are in the ballpark, or ahead of the game. :slight_smile:

Quincey