Is it still possible to obtain and install HDF 1.8.9?

Hello,

I’m currently using an older tool that requires HDF 1.8.9. Despite its age - over ten years old - I’m wondering if it’s still possible to obtain and install HDF 1.8.9.

I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my PC. I’ve checked both your GitHub release page and the official website, but it seems the source files are no longer available. Could you assist me with this? Thanks a lot.

Below are part of the error messages from the g+±5 compiler.

undefined reference to `H5::CommonFG::openDataSet(char const*) const@HDF5_CPP_1.8.9'
undefined reference to `H5::H5Location::createAttribute(char const*, H5::DataType const&, H5::DataSpace const&, H5::PropList const&) const@HDF5_CPP_1.8.12'
undefined reference to `H5::CommonFG::openGroup(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&) const@HDF5_CPP_1.8.15.1'
undefined reference to `H5::CommonFG::createDataSet(char const*, H5::DataType const&, H5::DataSpace const&, H5::DSetCreatPropList const&) const@HDF5_CPP_1.8.9'

Best regards,
Ethan

I think I just found out the answer. We can download the source of HDF 1.8.x here, and build using the commands below.

tar -xvzf hdf5-1.8.15.tar
cd hdf5-1.8.15
./configure --prefix=/path/to/install --enable-fortran --enable-cxx
make
make check                
make install prefix=/path/to/install
make check-install

It is just somehow I still can’t fix those undefined reference errors.