IOError: Unable to create file (Mpi_err_other: known error not in list)

I have recently opened an issue at h5py github repository (https://github.com/h5py/h5py/issues/434#issuecomment-41567806) about an error I am having with my Parallel HDF5 install. I have installed HDF5 through the dorsal script (https://github.com/FEniCS/dorsal/blob/master/FEniCS/packages/hdf5.package). The install completes without any error. However, when I try to use h5py (using a test run script) , I get an odd error :

................EE................................................................................................................sss...........................x.......................s.......................................x.................................s...............................................

···

======================================================================
ERROR: test_mpi_atomic (h5py.tests.test_file.TestDrivers)
Enable atomic mode for MPIO driver

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7- linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/tests/test_file.py", line 251, in test_mpi_atomic
with File(fname, 'w', driver='mpio', comm=MPI.COMM_WORLD) as f:
File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/hl/files.py", line 222, in __init_
fid = make_fid(name, mode, userblock_size, fapl)
File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/_hl/files.py", line 85, in make_fid
fid = h5f.create(name, h5f.ACC_TRUNC, fapl=fapl, fcpl=fcpl)
File "h5f.pyx", line 90, in h5py.h5f.create (h5py/h5f.c:2222)

ERROR: test_mpio (h5py.tests.test_file.TestDrivers)
MPIO driver and options

File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/tests/test_file.py", line 241, in test_mpio
File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/hl/files.py", line 222, in __init_
File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/_hl/files.py", line 85, in make_fid

Ran 306 tests in 0.382s

FAILED (errors=2, skipped=5, expected failures=2)
I am able to use hdf5 just fine when I do not use the mpio driver along with the mpi communicator.

I forgot to mention that I am using Red Hat 4.4.7-4 6 (x86_64) without root access. My mpi version is

mpirun (Open MPI) 1.6.2

mpiexec (OpenRTE) 1.6.2

···

On 2014-04-28 19:08, Imran Ali wrote:

I have recently opened an issue at h5py github repository
(https://github.com/h5py/h5py/issues/434#issuecomment-41567806 [1])
about an error I am having with my Parallel HDF5 install. I have
installed HDF5 through the dorsal script
(https://github.com/FEniCS/dorsal/blob/master/FEniCS/packages/hdf5.package
[2]). The install completes without any error. However, when I try to
use h5py (using a test run script) , I get an odd error :

................EE................................................................................................................sss...........................x.......................s.......................................x.................................s...............................................

-------------------------

File
"/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-
linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/tests/test_file.py", line 251, in
test_mpi_atomic
File
"/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/_hl/files.py",
line 222, in __init__
File
"/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/_hl/files.py",
line 85, in make_fid

MPIO driver and options

File
"/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/tests/test_file.py",
line 241, in test_mpio
File
line 222, in __init__
File
line 85, in make_fid

Ran 306 tests in 0.382s

I am able to use hdf5 just fine when I do not use the mpio driver
along with the mpi communicator.

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/h5py/h5py/issues/434#issuecomment-41567806
[2] https://github.com/FEniCS/dorsal/blob/master/FEniCS/packages/hdf5.package

Hi Imran,

Does the filesystem and MPI version you are using support MPI atomic mode?
You can check that by trying any simple MPI IO program and add
MPI_File_set_atomicity(fh, 1);
after opening the file.

This is what this test is trying. Granted this is not a very well supported feature in terms of performance, so if this test fails, you can ignore it as long as you do not use H5Fset_mpi_atomicity().
But if you are using this routine (as this test is doing) and your filesystem does not support MPI file atomicity, then you will see that failure.

Thanks,
Mohamad

···

From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-bounces@lists.hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of Imran Ali
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 12:08 PM
To: hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org
Subject: [Hdf-forum] IOError: Unable to create file (Mpi_err_other: known error not in list)

I have recently opened an issue at h5py github repository (https://github.com/h5py/h5py/issues/434#issuecomment-41567806) about an error I am having with my Parallel HDF5 install. I have installed HDF5 through the dorsal script (https://github.com/FEniCS/dorsal/blob/master/FEniCS/packages/hdf5.package). The install completes without any error. However, when I try to use h5py (using a test run script) , I get an odd error :

File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7- linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/tests/test_file.py", line 251, in test_mpi_atomic

MPIO driver and options

File "/uio/hume/student-u29/imranal/Work/FEniCS/lib/python2.7/site-packages/h5py-2.3.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/h5py/tests/test_file.py", line 241, in test_mpio

Ran 306 tests in 0.382s

I am able to use hdf5 just fine when I do not use the mpio driver along with the mpi communicator.

Hi Mohamad Chaarawi,

I inserted the code in the following program :

http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/I590/node88.html

before closing closing the file and ran. I got no errors.

Here is how I ran the program :
mpicc -DDEBUG -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -o mkrandpfile mkrandpfile.c
mpiexec -n 8 mkrandpfile -f test -l 20

With kind regards,
Imran

···

29. apr. 2014 kl. 17:06 skrev Mohamad Chaarawi <chaarawi@hdfgroup.org>:

Hi Imran,

Does the filesystem and MPI version you are using support MPI atomic mode?
You can check that by trying any simple MPI IO program and add
MPI_File_set_atomicity(fh, 1);
after opening the file.

This is what this test is trying. Granted this is not a very well supported feature in terms of performance, so if this test fails, you can ignore it as long as you do not use H5Fset_mpi_atomicity().
But if you are using this routine (as this test is doing) and your filesystem does not support MPI file atomicity, then you will see that failure.

Thanks,
Mohamad

From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-bounces@lists.hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of Imran Ali
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 12:08 PM
To: hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org
Subject: [Hdf-forum] IOError: Unable to create file (Mpi_err_other: known error not in list)

MPIO driver and options

Ran 306 tests in 0.382s