HDFView unable to export dataset

Installed HDFView 3.1.1 on Windows 10, then tried “Export Dataset” on a HDF5 file. The following error message shows up when : “Unable to export dataset: Unable to open file”. Tried different save locations (on local HDD) and file names, different export data formats, verified folder permissions, etc – always get this error.

The file you opened might need to be R/W and not read-only.

Allen

Same for me with HDFView-3.1.3 on Mac OS.

It’s not a permission problem, because:
“Right-click in data tree -> Save to” will write a h5 file perfectly to disk.

However:
Right-click in data tree -> Export Data Set… will give the error "Unable to export dataset: Unable to open file”
Tried with Text and Binary formats. Fails with all tried file paths.

It seems that the Export data… function is broken.

Additional note: I have granted the app the “Full disk access” rights in System Preferences -> Security&Privacy

Same with windows version (3.1.3)

Well, not sure why, because on the systems I have the function does work.
The location you are writing to does not have spaces or extended characters?

Allen

Thanks for checking.

No, the paths do not contain spaces or extra stuff. I tried e.g. C:\temp\a.txt on windows or /tmp/a.txt on Macos.
In HDFView 2.14, the dataset export works without problems (in this a suitable workaround for me).

I think it’s the specific h5 file I am trying to export data from. It’s a NASTRAN output file.

When I create a new file in HFDView 3.1.3, and add data to it, the export works fine.

I notice that the icons in the tree view of the newly created file are different: In the NASTRAN file, the data sets appear with a small red “A” overlayed on them. In my newly created h5 file, the icons are “clean”. Does this make sense to you?

The “A” indicates that there is an attached attribute. There was an issue with exporting from an attribute, because they were not handled like a dataset. This is fixed in the curreent development, but I will double check exporting from an attribute.

I found a workaround:

Instead of "Right-click in data tree -> Export data set… " you can do
"Double-click in data tree -> Select table columns -> Menubar -> “Export data set…”

While the first option gives “unable to open file” (now confirmed by a colleague working with NASTRAN output files), the section option works fine in the newest version of HDFView.

Thanks - good information to have.
Allen