HDF5 Testing

Thanks Larry. I have used these examples. Could you put in a feature requests for a “don’t build libraries” make variable that could be used with “make check” (that could require the user to link in the libraries with LDFLAGS AND CFLAGS) ? This would greatly aid in comprehensively testing HDF5 with different compilers/hardware/operating systems. Thanks.

Sean

···

From: Larry Knox <lrknox@hdfgroup.org<mailto:lrknox@hdfgroup.org>>
Reply-To: HDF Users Discussion List <hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org<mailto:hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org>>
Date: Friday, October 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM
To: HDF Users Discussion List <hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org<mailto:hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org>>
Subject: Re: [Hdf-forum] HDF5 Testing

Hi Sean,

There is a small set of examples installed by “make install” in <install prefix>/share/hdf5_examples with scripts (run-all-ex.sh) to compile (using the compile scripts h5cc, etc in <install prefix>/bin) and run the resulting binaries. They are not at all comprehensive tests, but should demonstrate that the installed HDF5 libraries are functional, at least to some extent. There is a README file in the hdf5_examples directory.

Larry

From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-bounces@lists.hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of Sean Byland
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 1:23 PM
To: HDF Users Discussion List
Subject: [Hdf-forum] HDF5 Testing

The HDF5 “make check” test are written to verify libraries that are internal to the source tree, so compiling and executing them outside of the hdf5 source code is a somewhat arduous process. Is there a convenient method I could use to compile and run these test without re-compiling the libraries ? I’m looking for a way to be to compile/execute the tests on a run-time platform when the libraries were cross-compiled on a different platform. It would also be convenient to check if HDF5 libraries would work on different linux distributions without having to be recompiled. Thanks for any info.

Sean B

I’ve created HDFFV-8942<https://jira.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu/browse/HDFFV-8942> in the HDF Jira issue tracking database. If someone has examples of open source software that have such an option I will add them to the description for future reference.

Larry

···

From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-bounces@lists.hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of Sean Byland
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 1:22 PM

Thanks Larry. I have used these examples. Could you put in a feature requests for a “don’t build libraries” make variable that could be used with “make check” (that could require the user to link in the libraries with LDFLAGS AND CFLAGS) ? This would greatly aid in comprehensively testing HDF5 with different compilers/hardware/operating systems. Thanks.

Sean

From: Larry Knox <lrknox@hdfgroup.org<mailto:lrknox@hdfgroup.org>>
Reply-To: HDF Users Discussion List <hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org<mailto:hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org>>
Date: Friday, October 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM
To: HDF Users Discussion List <hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org<mailto:hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org>>

Hi Sean,

There is a small set of examples installed by “make install” in <install prefix>/share/hdf5_examples with scripts (run-all-ex.sh) to compile (using the compile scripts h5cc, etc in <install prefix>/bin) and run the resulting binaries. They are not at all comprehensive tests, but should demonstrate that the installed HDF5 libraries are functional, at least to some extent. There is a README file in the hdf5_examples directory.

Larry

Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 1:23 PM
Subject: [Hdf-forum] HDF5 Testing

The HDF5 “make check” test are written to verify libraries that are internal to the source tree, so compiling and executing them outside of the hdf5 source code is a somewhat arduous process. Is there a convenient method I could use to compile and run these test without re-compiling the libraries ? I’m looking for a way to be to compile/execute the tests on a run-time platform when the libraries were cross-compiled on a different platform. It would also be convenient to check if HDF5 libraries would work on different linux distributions without having to be recompiled. Thanks for any info.

Sean B