HDF5 PossibleTable Size Limits

I am fairly new to HDF5 and currently writing an application that loads Finite Element results into an HDF5 database comprising of a set of tables. The HDF5 database layout/format is derived from that used by MSC NASTRAN and each table contains all the results (nodal/elemental) for several load cases. I am finding that if the table size gets to be greater about 1GB the HDFViewer indicates errors by either displaying the string ERROR in some of the columns or by an error message when trying to open the table. Is this a limitation or could there be another problem? My application is written in Intel FORTRAN 2019 so I have to create a single table that contains all the results, populate it and then save it using the H5TBMake_table_f function. The chunk size is set to 50 though I’m not sure if this is relevant.

If I reduce the number of load cases in the table the Viewer indicates no errors and the data looks fine.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

To better understand the issue, it would help us if we could get a file that is good and one that is not.

Would you be able to send us the files, or maybe the application that we can compile with different values?
Please send the files/application to the HDF Helpdesk (help@hdfgroup.org) and we will investigate the issue.

Thanks!
-Barbara
HDF Helpdesk

Hi Barbara,

I can send example files but they are around 1GB in size, is there a size limit on the attachment?

The application is part of a larger program so would be difficult to split up and send so for time being I will just send the files and hopefully the reason can be diagnosed.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, which version of HDFView are you using? Have you tried the latest version (3.1)?

Hi Gerd,

I have tried using HDFView 2.9 & 3.1. I get the same sort of errors in both.

Is it possible to attach files as large as 1.4 GB to the HDF help group? The error seems to occur when the data table gets above approximately 1GB.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I sent you a message from the helpdesk on how to place a file on our local ftp server.
Can you try that?

Thanks,
-Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I’ve transferred four files via ftp to illustrate the problem.

GPForces_All_19_Cases.hdf5 - HDFViewer fails to open the table NASTRAN/RESULTS/FORCE/GRID_POINT

GPForces_11_Cases.hdf5 - HDFViewer opens the same table OK and values look correct.

Stresses_All_19_Cases.hdf5 - HDFViewer opens the table NASTRAN/RESULTS/STRESS/QUAD_CN but some columns contain the ERROR text instead of values…

Stresses_14_Cases.hdf5 - HDFViewer opens the same table OK and all values look fine.

I am not convinced the later two files transferred OK as no completion message displayed and won’t let me overwrite.

Thanks,

Steve