HDF5 parallel and threadsafe

I wonder why we cannot produce a thread-safe and parallel version (v1.8.5 patch 1).
(--enable-threadsafe --with-pthreads --enable-parallel)

Is it a system issue or just that it's not done yet?

-MP-

···

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Marc POINOT [ONERA/DSNA] Tel:+33.1.46.73.42.84 Fax:+33.1.46.73.41.66
  Avertissement/disclaimer http://www.onera.fr/onera-en/emails-terms

Hi Marc,

···

On Oct 14, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Marc POINOT wrote:

I wonder why we cannot produce a thread-safe and parallel version (v1.8.5 patch 1).

Mostly, that combination of options is disabled because we don't have the resources to support it and none of our funding sources have put it on their list of supported configuration. Elena and I talked about it though and we thought that adding a "--enable-unsupported" configure flag to allow unsupported configuration combinations would be a good way of allowing users to experiment with features that we don't normally support. How's that sound to you?

Quincey

Quincey Koziol wrote:

Hi Marc,

Mostly, that combination of options is disabled because we don't have the resources to support it and none of our funding sources have put it on their list of supported configuration. Elena and I talked about it though and we thought that adding a "--enable-unsupported" configure flag to allow unsupported configuration combinations would be a good way of allowing users to experiment with features that we don't normally support. How's that sound to you?

Quincey

Ok, just give me the green light to built with both threads and MPI (I can hack the configure and/or some source flags if you have no time for a better way to do this), I'll test it and I'll let you know.

-MP-

···

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Marc POINOT [ONERA/DSNA] Tel:+33.1.46.73.42.84 Fax:+33.1.46.73.41.66
  Avertissement/disclaimer http://www.onera.fr/onera-en/emails-terms

Hi Marc,

···

On Oct 18, 2010, at 2:57 AM, Marc POINOT wrote:

Quincey Koziol wrote:

Hi Marc,

Quincey

Ok, just give me the green light to built with both threads and MPI (I can hack the configure and/or some source flags if you have no time for a better way to do this), I'll test it and I'll let you know.

Go ahead and hack the configure and see what happens (it should work OK). :slight_smile:

Quincey