HDF5 ODBC connector status

I found some old posts (ca 2015-17) about a HDF5 ODBC connector, but can’t find it on the download page. What’s the status? Is it no longer available? It appeared to be a promising start to read HDF5 data into Excel (without creating intermediate CSV files). Reference:

Thanks,
-Ken

H Ken,

Unfortunately, the demand for ODBC was very small, so we had to drop support
for it. The ODBC Connector software is not available.

-Barbara

That’s what I assumed, thanks for confirming.
How do folks connect HDF5 to Excel (besides using an intermediate file to transfer the data)?

You might be able to use HDFView or h5dump. See this FAQ about that:

I understand that Pandas has an option to convert to csv.

ken.walker

[Ken Walker](https://forum.hdfgroup.org/u/ken.walker)

September 13

That’s what I assumed, thanks for confirming.

How do folks connect HDF5 to Excel (besides using an intermediate file to transfer the data)?

I understand that both R and python can read at least some hdf5 files and write Excel xlsx

files.

George, Thanks. Yes I am very familiar with Python tools to read HDF5 (both h5py and pytables). I was looking for a way to pull data directly into Excel w/out Python code or an intermediate file. Given the popularity of Excel, I thought this would be a common requirement. Apparently not.

Hi, for whatever little it may be worth - we need an ODBC connector, in order to access from Excel. If there were a period in the past it was not that much in demand, it is now, with the new Excel functionality. thanks for considering.

1 Like