A pre-release version of HDF5 1.8.22 source (hdf5-1.8.22-rc1) is available for testing and can be downloaded at the following link:
HDF5 1.8.22 will be followed later in 2021 by HDF5 1.8.23, the final release of HDF5 1.8. HDF5 1.10 and HDF5 1.12 are currently available. Detailed information about these releases can be found at: https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/HDF5/Release+Specific+Information.
This release contains new features and changes from active HDF5 development that are compatible with hdf5_1_8:
• HDF5 now supports building with the AEC library as a replacement library for SZip.
• CVE-2018-13870 , CVE-2018-13869 and CVE-2018-17435 were fixed in this release.
• Improvements to CMake support were brought to HDF5 1.8.22 to bring it to the same support as other HDF5 versions.
• A CMake option was added to link generated Fortran MOD files into the include directory.
• Toolchain and cross-compile support were added in CMake.
• Support for building only shared libraries was added to CMake.
• Support for VS2019 was added for CMake version 3.15 and later.
• S3 and HDFS VFDs have been added to HDF5 1.8.
• Symbolic links were added for HL Fortran lib files to match the general pattern of hl lib file names.
For details about these and other changes or more information about the release see https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.22-rc1-RELEASE.txt.
If you have time to test this release candidate, we would greatly appreciate it. We test HDF5 on a variety of platforms and with multiple compilers, but there is always a system that we couldn’t test on. Your feedback is critical.
For those who use autoconf to build HDF5, please notice that the default configuration mode for this distribution is “–enable-build-mode=production". Use the “–enable-build-mode=debug” configure flag if you want to build HDF5 in the debug mode. Testing in both modes is recommended when possible.
The shared library version numbers for lib.so.* files in HDF5-1.8.22-rc1 have been updated according to libtool’s versioning system and the changes in symbols from HDF5-1.8.21. The API compatibility report is at this link: https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.8.22-rc1-vs-hdf5-1.8.21--preliminary-interface_compatibility_report.html.
We expect the official release of HDF5 1.8.22 around January 25. Reports of issues in the next week will be invaluable and very much appreciated. Thank you, and happy testing!
The HDF Group