HDF5 1.8.12 Release will NOT install on Unix Systems

Just tried to compile the 1.8.12 release on OS X 10.8.5 installing into /Users/Shared/Toolkits/hdf5-1.8.12 and I get the following error.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `preinstall'.
Install the project...
"/Users/Shared/Toolkits/cmake-2.8.12/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/bin/cmake" -P cmake_install.cmake
-- Install configuration: "Debug"
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:31 (FILE):
  file cannot create directory: /HDF5
  1.8.12.framework/Versions/1.8.12/HDF5/include. Maybe need administrative
  privileges.

make: *** [install] Error 1

Just checked the pre-2 and it does not work either. The issue is it trying to install "HDF5 1.8.12-pre2.framework" to the root level of the hard drive. Looks like CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is being ignored. This is going to STOP anyone on any Unix system from compiling installing HDF5 1.8.12.

My suggestion is an emergency fix and repost of the source codes.

Thanks
Mike Jackson

My first post (and subject) was not completely correct. I am having an issue getting it to install on OS X 10.8.5.

Mike Jackson

···

On Nov 15, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Michael Jackson <mike.jackson@bluequartz.net> wrote:

Just tried to compile the 1.8.12 release on OS X 10.8.5 installing into /Users/Shared/Toolkits/hdf5-1.8.12 and I get the following error.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `preinstall'.
Install the project...
"/Users/Shared/Toolkits/cmake-2.8.12/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/bin/cmake" -P cmake_install.cmake
-- Install configuration: "Debug"
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:31 (FILE):
file cannot create directory: /HDF5
1.8.12.framework/Versions/1.8.12/HDF5/include. Maybe need administrative
privileges.

make: *** [install] Error 1

Just checked the pre-2 and it does not work either. The issue is it trying to install "HDF5 1.8.12-pre2.framework" to the root level of the hard drive. Looks like CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is being ignored. This is going to STOP anyone on any Unix system from compiling installing HDF5 1.8.12.

My suggestion is an emergency fix and repost of the source codes.

Thanks
Mike Jackson