A pre-release version of HDF5 1.10.7 source (hdf5-1.10.7-1) is available for testing and can be downloaded at the following link:
This release contains many important new features and changes, including:
• HDF5 now supports building with the AEC library as a replacement library for SZip.
• CVE-2018-13870, CVE-2018-13869 and CVE-2018-17435 were fixed in this release.
• Metadata cache optimization was added to improve performance.
• A CMake option was added to link generated Fortran MOD files into the include directory.
• Autotools and CMake options were added to enable or disable file locking. C functions and C++, Fortran and Java wrappers were also added for setting and getting the file locking parameters.
• The Splitter VFD was added. It maintains separate R/W and W/O channels for ”concurrent” file writes to two files using a single HDF5 file handle.
• The Mirror VFD was added. It uses TCP/IP sockets to perform write-only (W/O) file I/O on a remote machine
• Internal memory sanity checking was disabled in Autotools debug builds by default. The sanity checking replaced C API malloc(3) and free(3) calls with HDF5 internal calls, which caused problems with the external filter plugins.
• Several tools issues were fixed (h5diff, h5repack).
• The High Level H5DSis_scale function was fixed to correctly handle CLASS and DIMENSION_SCALE attributes that were not written according to the Dimension Scales Specification.
For details about these and other changes or more information about the release see https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.7-1-RELEASE.txt or https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/HDF5/Software+Changes+from+Release+to+Release+for+HDF5-1.10.
If you have time to test this release candidate, we would greatly appreciate it. We test HDF5 on a variety of platforms and with multiple compilers, but there is always a system that we couldn’t test on. Your feedback is critical.
For those who use autoconf to build HDF5, please notice that the default configuration mode for this distribution is “–enable-build-mode=production". Use the “–enable-build-mode=debug” configure flag if you want to build HDF5 in the debug mode. Testing in both modes is recommended when possible.
The shared library version numbers for lib.so.* files in HDF5-1.10.7-1 have been updated according to libtool’s versioning system and the changes in symbols from HDF5-1.10.6. The API compatibility report is at this link: https://gamma.hdfgroup.org/ftp/pub/outgoing/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.7-1-vs-1.10.6-preliminary-interface_compatibility_report.html.
Your prompt reports of any issues found will be invaluable and very much appreciated. Thank you and happy testing!
The HDF Group