HDF 1.8.5 installation problems on MacOS 10.5.8

Hi,

I'm trying to install HDF 1.8.5 on a Mac Pro with 10.5.8 installed. I configured the install with

./configure --enable-fortran FC=ifort --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx

and then typed

make

and I get the following error:

libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../src -I../../src -DNDEBUG -UH5_DEBUG_API -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wno-long-long -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wmissing-noreturn -Wpacked -Wdisabled-optimization -Wendif-labels -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition -Winvalid-pch -Wvariadic-macros -Wnonnull -Winit-self -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-default -Wswitch-enum -Wunused-macros -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -MT H5f90kit.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/H5f90kit.Tpo -c H5f90kit.c -o H5f90kit.o
In file included from H5f90.h:23,
                from H5f90kit.c:19:
[...]
H5f90proto.h:1216: warning: redundant redeclaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_'
H5f90proto.h:1213: warning: previous declaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_' was here
H5f90proto.h:1218: error: 'H5_FC_FUNC_' declared as function returning a function
H5f90proto.h:1218: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
H5f90proto.h:1218: warning: redundant redeclaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_'
H5f90proto.h:1216: warning: previous declaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_' was here
make[3]: *** [H5f90kit.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I've used exactly the same commands on MacOS 10.6 and didn't run into any issues. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help,

Thomas

I am not sure but I am guessing the problem is that it found gnu C
compiler for C code but you told it to use intel compiler for fortran
code (e.g. FC=ifort).

Perhaps, if you also told it to use intel C and C++ compilers, using...

./configure --enable-fortran CC=icc CXX=icpc FC=ifort --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx

that might 'fix' this problem.

I think GNU Autoconf tries really hard to find and use a 'gcc' before it
tries using a non GNU compiler.

Mark

···

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 15:57, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to install HDF 1.8.5 on a Mac Pro with 10.5.8 installed. I configured the install with

./configure --enable-fortran FC=ifort --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx

and then typed

make

libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../src -I../../src -DNDEBUG -UH5_DEBUG_API -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wno-long-long -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wmissing-noreturn -Wpacked -Wdisabled-optimization -Wendif-labels -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition -Winvalid-pch -Wvariadic-macros -Wnonnull -Winit-self -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-default -Wswitch-enum -Wunused-macros -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -MT H5f90kit.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/H5f90kit.Tpo -c H5f90kit.c -o H5f90kit.o
[...]
H5f90proto.h:1218: error: 'H5_FC_FUNC_' declared as function returning a function
H5f90proto.h:1218: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

I've used exactly the same commands on MacOS 10.6 and didn't run into any issues. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help,

Thomas

--
Mark C. Miller, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
================!!LLNL BUSINESS ONLY!!================
miller86@llnl.gov urgent: miller86@pager.llnl.gov
T:8-6 (925)-423-5901 M/W/Th:7-12,2-7 (530)-753-8511

I am not sure but I am guessing the problem is that it found gnu C
compiler for C code but you told it to use intel compiler for fortran
code (e.g. FC=ifort).

That is correct.

Perhaps, if you also told it to use intel C and C++ compilers, using...

./configure --enable-fortran CC=icc CXX=icpc FC=ifort --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx

that might 'fix' this problem.

I do not have a license for the intel C/C++ compilers, only the fortran compiler. Is there no way to compile HDF5 for ifort if the intel C compiler is not present?

Thanks,

Thomas

···

I think GNU Autoconf tries really hard to find and use a 'gcc' before it
tries using a non GNU compiler.

Mark

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 15:57, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

Hi,

and then typed

make

[...]

Thanks for any help,

Thomas

--

Hi Thomas,

Do you know if Intel compiler defaults to 64-bit and gcc to 32-bit on your machine? I think that was the case when I had 10.5.8.
To enable 32-bit fro ifort I had to run /opt/intel/fc/10.1.006/bin/ifortvars.csh

Elena

···

On Aug 7, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

Hi,

and then typed

make

[...]

Thanks for any help,

Thomas

Hi Elena,

This was indeed the problem (32-bit gcc and 64-bit ifort). For the record, instead of running the ifortvars.csh script, I ran the same configure command as before, but with FC="ifort -m32", and this also works, i.e.

./configure --enable-fortran FC="ifort -m32" --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx
make
make install

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

···

On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Elena Pourmal wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Do you know if Intel compiler defaults to 64-bit and gcc to 32-bit on your machine? I think that was the case when I had 10.5.8.
To enable 32-bit fro ifort I had to run /opt/intel/fc/10.1.006/bin/ifortvars.csh

Elena

Hi,

and then typed

make

[...]

Thanks for any help,

Thomas

HI :
I am install HDF5 in the readhad system.
Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Release: 5.5
I use the config command as:
./configure --enable-forturn --prefix=/usr/local/hdf5.
so , configure is good.
but , when i "make" it .
so ,bash report error as:

../libtool: line 494: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
../libtool: line 494: ` case `(set -o) 2>/dev/null` in *posix*) set -o posix;;
'sac

I donot know why? Can you help me?
···

Ok, good, glad you got that working.

My response wasn't meant to suggest you could not compile HDF5 for ifort
without also having icc. I just guessed you ran into the same problem I
have where I've got mixed compilers (ifort and gcc) and have always been
able to 'fix' it by setting it to use all intel compilers. I never dug
any deeper to see what was going on. But, now that I know its a
32/64-bit issue, I'll know better how to handle this next time I
encounter it.

Mark

···

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 11:38, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

Hi Elena,

This was indeed the problem (32-bit gcc and 64-bit ifort). For the record, instead of running the ifortvars.csh script, I ran the same configure command as before, but with FC="ifort -m32", and this also works, i.e.

./configure --enable-fortran FC="ifort -m32" --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx
make
make install

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Do you know if Intel compiler defaults to 64-bit and gcc to 32-bit on your machine? I think that was the case when I had 10.5.8.
> To enable 32-bit fro ifort I had to run /opt/intel/fc/10.1.006/bin/ifortvars.csh
>
> Elena
>
> On Aug 7, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install HDF 1.8.5 on a Mac Pro with 10.5.8 installed. I configured the install with
>>
>> ./configure --enable-fortran FC=ifort --prefix=$HOME/usr/hdf5 --enable-hl --enable-cxx
>>
>> and then typed
>>
>> make
>>
>> and I get the following error:
>>
>> libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../src -I../../src -DNDEBUG -UH5_DEBUG_API -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wno-long-long -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wmissing-noreturn -Wpacked -Wdisabled-optimization -Wendif-labels -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition -Winvalid-pch -Wvariadic-macros -Wnonnull -Winit-self -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-default -Wswitch-enum -Wunused-macros -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -MT H5f90kit.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/H5f90kit.Tpo -c H5f90kit.c -o H5f90kit.o
>> In file included from H5f90.h:23,
>> from H5f90kit.c:19:
>> [...]
>> H5f90proto.h:1216: warning: redundant redeclaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_'
>> H5f90proto.h:1213: warning: previous declaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_' was here
>> H5f90proto.h:1218: error: 'H5_FC_FUNC_' declared as function returning a function
>> H5f90proto.h:1218: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
>> H5f90proto.h:1218: warning: redundant redeclaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_'
>> H5f90proto.h:1216: warning: previous declaration of 'H5_FC_FUNC_' was here
>> make[3]: *** [H5f90kit.lo] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>
>> I've used exactly the same commands on MacOS 10.6 and didn't run into any issues. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Thomas
>> _______________________________________________
>> Hdf-forum is for HDF software users discussion.
>> Hdf-forum@hdfgroup.org
>> http://*mail.hdfgroup.org/mailman/listinfo/hdf-forum_hdfgroup.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hdf-forum is for HDF software users discussion.
> Hdf-forum@hdfgroup.org
> http://*mail.hdfgroup.org/mailman/listinfo/hdf-forum_hdfgroup.org

--

Great!

"ifort -m32" didn't work on my machine due to some missing libraries, but this is definitely how it should work.

Elena

···

On Aug 8, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

Hi Elena,

make
make install

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Elena

Hi,

and then typed

make

[...]

Thanks for any help,

Thomas