H5repack, dimension scales with custom attributes

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I have a strange behavior of h5repack.

I am creating a HDF5 file with a simple dataset and attach a dimension scale dataset to the first dimension of that dataset. Because my Data can be interpreted in different ways, I need to attach some custom attributes to the scale dataset, for example "UNITS" or "SUB_CLASS".
So far so good, writing that file works as expected, HDFView shows the contents correctly, reading the file back works fine.

When I run h5repack with that file however, I get the following output:

HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.15-patch1) thread 0:
  #000: C:\autotest\HDF518ReleaseRWDITAR\src\H5A.c line 259 in H5Acreate2(): unable to create attribute
    major: Attribute
    minor: Unable to initialize object
  #001: C:\autotest\HDF518ReleaseRWDITAR\src\H5Aint.c line 167 in H5A_create(): attribute already exists
    minor: Object already exists
h5repack: <myfile.h5>: Could not copy data to: myfile-repacked.h5

When I debug into the h5repack tool, I localized the point at which some error occurs.
It is, when h5repack tries to create one of my custom attributes of the dimension scale dataset (h5repack_refs.c, line 599, attr_out = H5Acreate2(...)) ==> attr_out = -1, called from do_copy_refobjs()

Has anybody some idea, what could go wrong ?
If it helps I could post the dumps of the original and the repacked files...

Best regards,
Detlef

···

---
Detlef Sanchen
Senior Software Engineer

WITec GmbH
Lise-Meitner-Str. 6, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)731 140 70-0, Fax: +49 (0)731 140 70-200
Email: Detlef.Sanchen@WITec.de, web: www.WITec.de

Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/witec.de

WITec Wissenschaftliche Instrumente und Technologie GmbH; Geschäftsführer: Dr.Olaf Hollricher, Dr.Joachim Koenen, Dr.Klaus Weishaupt; Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 3507

Hi Detlef,

This looks like a bug in h5repack. Can you give us your file?
Please send it to:
     help@hdfgroup.org

If it is too large to send I can give you instructions for uploading it, as well.

Thanks!
-Barbara
help@hdfgroup.org

···

-----Original Message-----
From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-bounces@lists.hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of Detlef Sanchen
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:10 AM
To: 'hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org'
Subject: [Hdf-forum] H5repack, dimension scales with custom attributes

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I have a strange behavior of h5repack.

I am creating a HDF5 file with a simple dataset and attach a dimension scale dataset to the first dimension of that dataset. Because my Data can be interpreted in different ways, I need to attach some custom attributes to the scale dataset, for example "UNITS" or "SUB_CLASS".
So far so good, writing that file works as expected, HDFView shows the contents correctly, reading the file back works fine.

When I run h5repack with that file however, I get the following output:

HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.15-patch1) thread 0:
  #000: C:\autotest\HDF518ReleaseRWDITAR\src\H5A.c line 259 in H5Acreate2(): unable to create attribute
    minor: Unable to initialize object
  #001: C:\autotest\HDF518ReleaseRWDITAR\src\H5Aint.c line 167 in H5A_create(): attribute already exists
    minor: Object already exists
h5repack: <myfile.h5>: Could not copy data to: myfile-repacked.h5

When I debug into the h5repack tool, I localized the point at which some error occurs.
It is, when h5repack tries to create one of my custom attributes of the dimension scale dataset (h5repack_refs.c, line 599, attr_out = H5Acreate2(...)) ==> attr_out = -1, called from do_copy_refobjs()

Has anybody some idea, what could go wrong ?
If it helps I could post the dumps of the original and the repacked files...

Best regards,
Detlef

---
Detlef Sanchen
Senior Software Engineer

WITec GmbH
Lise-Meitner-Str. 6, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)731 140 70-0, Fax: +49 (0)731 140 70-200
Email: Detlef.Sanchen@WITec.de, web: www.WITec.de

Join us on Facebook: Redirecting...

WITec Wissenschaftliche Instrumente und Technologie GmbH; Geschäftsführer: Dr.Olaf Hollricher, Dr.Joachim Koenen, Dr.Klaus Weishaupt; Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 3507

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hdf5