H5Fclose blocking on independent only h5 access in only one MPI process

Hi,

Using hdf1.8.5 and 1.8.6 pre2; openmpi 1.4.3 on linux rhel4 and rhel5

In a case where the hdf5 operations aren't using MPI but build an h5 file exclusive to individual MPI jobs/processes:

The create:
currentFileID = H5Fcreate(filePath.c_str(), H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);

and many file operations using the hl methods including packet table, tables and datasets etc. perform successfully.

Then near the individual processes' end the
H5Fclose(currentFileID);
is called but doesn't return. A check for open objects says only one file object is open but no other objects(group, dataset etc). No other software or process is acting on this h5; it is named exclusively for the one job it is associated with.

This isn't a parallel hdf5 in MPI attempt. In another scenario parallel hdf5 is working the collective way just fine. This current issue is for people who don't have or want a parallel file system and I made a coarsed grained MPI to run independent jobs for these folks. Each job has its own h5 opened with H5Fcreate(filePath.c_str(), H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);

Where should I look?

I'll try to make a small example test case for show and tell.

Further:

Debugging with MemoryScape:
Reveals a segfault in H5SL.c (1.8.5) at line 1068
             H5SL_REMOVE(SCALAR, slist, x, const haddr_t, key, -) //H5SL_TYPE_HADDR case

The stack trace is:
H5SL_remove 1068
H5C_flush_single_entry 7993
H5C_flush_cache 1395
H5AC_flush 941
H5F_flush 1673
H5F_dest 996
H5F_try_close 1900
H5F_close 1750
H5I_dec_ref 1490
H5F_close 1951

I'll be adding print outs to see what variable/pointer is causing the seg fault. The MemoryScape Fame shows:
Stack Frame
Function "H5SL_remove":
   slist: 0x0b790fc0 (Allocated) -> (H5SL_t)
   key: 0x0b9853f8 (Allocated Interior) -> 0x000000000001affc (110588)
Block "$b8":
   _last: 0x0b772270 (Allocated) -> (H5SL_node_t)
   _llast: 0x0001affc -> (H5SL_node_t)
   _next: 0x0b9855c0 (Allocated) -> (H5SL_node_t)
   _drop: 0x0b772270 (Allocated) -> (H5SL_node_t)
   _ldrop: 0x0b772270 (Allocated) -> (H5SL_node_t)
   _count: 0x00000000 (0)
   _i: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
Local variables:
   x: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
   hashval: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
   ret_value: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
   FUNC: "H5SL_remove"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some bad addresses on some of the variables such as x which was set by "x = slist->header;" which is a skip list.

These appear to be internal API functions and I'm wondering how I could be offending them from high level API calls and file interfaces. What could be in the cache H5C when
H5Fget_obj_count(fileID, H5F_OBJ_ALL) = 1
and H5Fget_obj_count(fileID, H5F_OBJ_DATASET | H5F_OBJ_GROUP | H5F_OBJ_DATATYPE | H5F_OBJ_ATTR) =0
for the file the code is trying to close.

···

On 12/03/2010 11:33 AM, Roger Martin wrote:

Hi,

In a case where the hdf5 operations aren't using MPI but build an h5 file exclusive to individual MPI jobs/processes:

The create:
currentFileID = H5Fcreate(filePath.c_str(), H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);

and many file operations using the hl methods including packet table, tables and datasets etc. perform successfully.

H5Fclose(currentFileID);
is called but doesn't return. A check for open objects says only one file object is open but no other objects(group, dataset etc). No other software or process is acting on this h5; it is named exclusively for the one job it is associated with.

This isn't a parallel hdf5 in MPI attempt. In another scenario parallel hdf5 is working the collective way just fine. This current issue is for people who don't have or want a parallel file system and I made a coarsed grained MPI to run independent jobs for these folks. Each job has its own h5 opened with H5Fcreate(filePath.c_str(), H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);

Where should I look?

Hi Roger,

Further:

The stack trace is:
H5SL_remove 1068
H5C_flush_cache 1395
H5AC_flush 941
H5F_flush 1673
H5F_dest 996
H5F_try_close 1900
H5F_close 1750
H5I_dec_ref 1490
H5F_close 1951

I'll be adding print outs to see what variable/pointer is causing the seg fault. The MemoryScape Fame shows:
Stack Frame
Function "H5SL_remove":
Block "$b8":
_i: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
Local variables:
x: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
hashval: <Bad address: 0x00000000>
ret_value: <Bad address: 0x00000000>

Some bad addresses on some of the variables such as x which was set by "x = slist->header;" which is a skip list.

These appear to be internal API functions and I'm wondering how I could be offending them from high level API calls and file interfaces. What could be in the cache H5C when
and H5Fget_obj_count(fileID, H5F_OBJ_DATASET | H5F_OBJ_GROUP | H5F_OBJ_DATATYPE | H5F_OBJ_ATTR) =0

Yes, you are correct, that shouldn't happen. :-/ Do you have a simple C program you can send to show this failure?

Quincey

···

On Dec 7, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Roger Martin wrote:

Hi,

The create:

H5Fclose(currentFileID);

Where should I look?

Hi Quincy,

I'll be pulling pieces out of the large c++ project into a small test c program to see if the seg fault can be duplicated in a wieldable example and if accomplished, will send it to you.

MemoryScape and gdb(Netbeans) doesn't show any memory issues from our library code and hdf5. MemoryScape doesn't expand through the H5SL_REMOVE macro so in another working copy I'm trying to treat a copy of it as a function.

···

On 12/07/2010 05:20 PM, Quincey Koziol wrote:

Hi Roger,

Further:

The stack trace is:
H5SL_remove 1068
H5C_flush_cache 1395
H5AC_flush 941
H5F_flush 1673
H5F_dest 996
H5F_try_close 1900
H5F_close 1750
H5I_dec_ref 1490
H5F_close 1951

Stack Frame
Function "H5SL_remove":
Block "$b8":
  _i:<Bad address: 0x00000000>
Local variables:
  x:<Bad address: 0x00000000>
  hashval:<Bad address: 0x00000000>
  ret_value:<Bad address: 0x00000000>

Yes, you are correct, that shouldn't happen. :-/ Do you have a simple C program you can send to show this failure?

Quincey

Hi,

The create:

H5Fclose(currentFileID);

Where should I look?

Hi Quincey, [got the 'e' this time]

The problem cannot be repeated in a c example program because the problem is upstream use of vector's with a -= operation. The failure in this area did not show except in this mpi application even though the same library and code is used in single process application.
scores[qbChemicalShiftTask->getNMRAtomIndices()[index]]-=qbChemicalShiftTask->getNMRTrace()[index];
where scores etc. are std:: vector<double>, std:: vector<int> typedefs. In certain runs the indices were incorrect so this was badly constructed and needed to be rewritten to have better alignment of indices to the previous creation of the scores vector and better checking.

These vectors were not used as input to any hdf5 interfaces; hdf5 looks clean and stable in the file closing. The problem was entirely in non hdf5 code but resulted in stepping on the H5SL skip list from my compile and running of the integrated system.

Thank you for being ready to look into it if it could be duplicated and shown to be in the H5SL remove area. The problem wasn't in hdf5 code.

···

On 12/08/2010 10:12 AM, Roger Martin wrote:

Hi Quincy,

I'll be pulling pieces out of the large c++ project into a small test c program to see if the seg fault can be duplicated in a wieldable example and if accomplished, will send it to you.

MemoryScape and gdb(Netbeans) doesn't show any memory issues from our library code and hdf5. MemoryScape doesn't expand through the H5SL_REMOVE macro so in another working copy I'm trying to treat a copy of it as a function.

Hi Roger,

Further:

The stack trace is:
H5SL_remove 1068
H5C_flush_cache 1395
H5AC_flush 941
H5F_flush 1673
H5F_dest 996
H5F_try_close 1900
H5F_close 1750
H5I_dec_ref 1490
H5F_close 1951

Stack Frame
Function "H5SL_remove":
Block "$b8":
Local variables:

Quincey

Hi,

The create:

H5Fclose(currentFileID);

Where should I look?

Hi Roger,

Hi Quincey, [got the 'e' this time]

The problem cannot be repeated in a c example program because the problem is upstream use of vector's with a -= operation. The failure in this area did not show except in this mpi application even though the same library and code is used in single process application.
scores[qbChemicalShiftTask->getNMRAtomIndices()[index]]-=qbChemicalShiftTask->getNMRTrace()[index];
where scores etc. are std:: vector<double>, std:: vector<int> typedefs. In certain runs the indices were incorrect so this was badly constructed and needed to be rewritten to have better alignment of indices to the previous creation of the scores vector and better checking.

These vectors were not used as input to any hdf5 interfaces; hdf5 looks clean and stable in the file closing. The problem was entirely in non hdf5 code but resulted in stepping on the H5SL skip list from my compile and running of the integrated system.

Thank you for being ready to look into it if it could be duplicated and shown to be in the H5SL remove area. The problem wasn't in hdf5 code.

Ah, that's good to hear, thanks!

Quincey

···

On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:41 AM, Roger Martin wrote:

On 12/08/2010 10:12 AM, Roger Martin wrote:

Hi Quincy,

Hi Roger,

Further:

The stack trace is:
H5SL_remove 1068
H5C_flush_cache 1395
H5AC_flush 941
H5F_flush 1673
H5F_dest 996
H5F_try_close 1900
H5F_close 1750
H5I_dec_ref 1490
H5F_close 1951

Stack Frame
Function "H5SL_remove":
Block "$b8":
Local variables:

Quincey

Hi,

The create:

H5Fclose(currentFileID);

Where should I look?