Recent versions of HDF5 implement support for dynamically-loaded filters. This is a very useful feature, thank you!
A dynamically-loaded filter is searched for, loaded and registered when HDF5 discovers that it needs to read/write the data using filter ID. HDF5 looks for filters in HDF5_PLUGIN_PATH.
In some cases however is would be preferable that I could also tell HDF5 to load and register the filter by the name of plugin dll file, rather then specify HDF5_PLUGIN_PATH and put plugin dll there.
For example, I'd like to distribute my app.exe, hdf5.dll and my custom hdf5plugin.dll in a single dir. Setting HDF5_PLUGIN_PATH to that dir would be suboptimal, as HDF5 would need to scan all files in the dir to detect plugins, which could be many.
I propose to implement function
herr_t H5PL_load_plugin(char *filename);
1) Loads the specified dll file.
2) Checks if it has H5PLget_plugin_type and H5PLget_plugin_info.
3) Calls these procedures to obtain plugin info.
4) Checks if the filter is not registered yet.
5) Registers the filter by calling H5Zregister.
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.