Failures with insufficient disk space

Hi,

I am using HDF5 1.10.2 in a C++ project and I am trying to solve an issue when user selects a location with insufficient disk space. There is not an easy way to predict this will happen so I tried to simply catch errors (exceptions) during various operations and handle them. The problem is that when this happens, hdf5 crashes somewhere in destructor of H5::H5File. I have tried 1.12.2, but the issue is still there. Am I doing something wrong? Code to replicate the error follows:

#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <filesystem>
#include <cstring>
#include <H5Cpp.h>
#include <windows.h>

int main()
{
    // prepare everything
    const std::string path = "O:/b.hdf5"; // virtual HDD with 100 MBs of space
    const int desiredSize = 1024 * 1024 * 128;
    std::shared_ptr<uint8_t> data = std::shared_ptr<uint8_t>(new uint8_t[desiredSize], std::default_delete<uint8_t[]>());
    uint8_t* dataRaw = data.get();
    for (int i = 0; i < desiredSize; ++i)
    {
        dataRaw[i] = i % 256;
    }

// clean previous file
    DeleteFileA(path.c_str());

// do HDF stuff
    {
        std::shared_ptr<H5::H5File> m_file;

// open file
        try
        {
            m_file = std::make_shared<H5::H5File>(path.c_str(), H5F_ACC_RDWR);
        }
        catch (H5::Exception& error)
        {
            m_file = nullptr;
        }

if (m_file == nullptr)
        {
            try
            {
                m_file = std::make_shared<H5::H5File>(path.c_str(), H5F_ACC_TRUNC);
            }
            {
                m_file = nullptr;
            }
        }

if (m_file == nullptr)
        {
            return EXIT_FAILURE;
        }

// write data
        {
            std::shared_ptr<H5::Group> group;
            try
            {
                group = std::shared_ptr<H5::Group>(new H5::Group(m_file->createGroup("H5::Group")));
            }
            catch (H5::Exception&)
            {
                group = nullptr;
            }

if (group != nullptr)
            {
                std::shared_ptr<H5::DataSet> dataset;
                try
                {
                    hsize_t dimensions[1] = { desiredSize };
                    H5::DataSpace dataSpace(1, dimensions);
                    dataset = std::shared_ptr<H5::DataSet>(new H5::DataSet(group->createDataSet("H5::DataSet", H5::PredType::NATIVE_UINT8, dataSpace)));
                    dataset->write(static_cast<void*>(data.get()), H5::PredType::NATIVE_UINT8);
                    m_file->flush(H5F_SCOPE_GLOBAL);
                }
                {
                    bool damn = true;
                }
            }
        }

// close
        try
        {
            m_file->close();
        }
        {
            bool damn = true;
        }

m_file = nullptr;
    }

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Hi @wilczak,

You may want to inspect the value stored in errno for an insufficient disk space error (ENOSPC) and have your logic behave according to it. This approach has worked well for us in HDFql.

Hope it helps!

Thanks. But that does not solve the issue of crashing somewhere inside HDF library when H5::H5File is destroyed, does it? I do not check errno but I do try to handle exceptions. First one occurs on the line
and the only thing that happens afterward is m_file->close(); and m_file = nullptr; Should I ignore that explicit close() call and just forget m_file?

Iā€™m not trying to be funny, but how about

#include <filesystem>

// std::filesystem::space_info.free

#include <hdf5.h>

instead of

#include <H5Cpp.h>

(or use Boost, if you are pre-C++ 17)?

I think the deeper problem is that you are trying to solve a problem that falls into the realm of undefined HDF5 library behavior, and you are putting too much faith into second-hand/distorted information handed down from H5Cpp exceptions.

G.

Itā€™s not just disk space. How about storing compressed data streamed from some device? I do not know how big it is going to be? Should I check after writing every block of data? How do I calculate necessary amount of free bytes when I have no clue what kind of overhead HDF5 really has? Even if I do something like that I will have code that will just delay the underlying issue of HDF not recovering from failures properly. And how about storing data on some remote location? If network fails, write fails also. And that is not an issue of storage space. How about then?

But if this is officially undefined HDF5 library behaviot, then I guess I will have to move away from it until it becomes defined :disappointed:

That depends on your use case, which you havenā€™t really described.

That depends on the choices you make about how to represent your data in HDF5. If each byte is a separate dataset the overhead is different from when you lumpā€™em together into a single dataset.

While I donā€™t see that youā€™ve nearly exhausted possibilities to stay out of trouble, I can tell you that fault tolerance was never a design goal for HDF5.

HDF5 makes no guarantees.

Please keep us in the loop about your journey!

Best, G.

My use case - developing a PC app that handles large volumetric data (for example medical data from CT) and lot of stuff around it. User makes analyses, notes, segments data into regions and prepares various surgical guides. This is not stuff he can replicate in a short period of time so saving all this as some kind of a project file is a must. Technically it also means that lot of different data is stored (various internal types, lengths, etc.). And as I have already written, he can save this project into various locations. Either to a hard drive, flash drive or to a remote location - network drive, cloud, whatever.

While I can save the project to a local destination and try to copy it somewhere else afterwards I will still encounter problems in some cases. And yes, these problems were reported by users.

While I can accept the fact that failure during write operations means the file is corrupted beyond repair I would love to be able to give user an option to save to a different location. But those failures corrupt some stuff inside HDF library (maybe just the CPP part) and the app ultimately crashes in atexit handler inside HDF library no matter what I try. And I am really unsure if I can rely on the data written into another file and location after the first write failure occured.

Fault tolerance may be achieved by replication, or external journals ā€“ meaning you keep a track of IO operations before executing them. Journals provide local solutions, and no protection when the entire node goes bye-bye. The latter class of problems solved with replication.

Data replication can be at frame level, such as Ethernet frames, IP multicast; or finding a suitable robust protocol such as SCTP, reliable UDP, etcā€¦ . Rolling your own solution is laborious, error prone, ZeroMQ is a message passing library with options when it comes to transport layer and it is a popular option in High Frequency Trading frameworks, and may be applied to your field as well.
One possible solution is to decouple data producer ( and consumer) from storage, provide options for robustness:

• cloud: amortised cost, high reliability and accessibility
  • intranet: collection of data recorders
  • ā€¦

ā€œAnd I am really unsure if I can rely on the data written into another file and location after the first write failure occured.ā€
Checksum is a method to answer these sort of questions, depending of implementation and kind youā€™re walking on the trade-off curve between performance and certainty.

All in all, it boils down to the budget and the skill of the software writer.

Thanks for reminding me of software engineering basics. My point is that HDF library does not survive its own failure to write. Even if I do all the error checks, replication, external journals and/or use more reliable network transfer. All in all, it boils down to HDF corrupting itself and taking everything down with it. I still think this is not an incompetence on my side or bad design decision on HDFā€™s side. But a bit rare and annoying bug.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not how I would describe it. The state of an HDF5 file thatā€™s being modified has two parts, a part in (user-)memory that may not yet have been persisted and a persisted portion in non-volatile storage. Letā€™s say the library finds itself at a point where it canā€™t any longer write (meta-)data into the file. Usually, there is NO corruption at this point, just a set of failed write or flush calls. What is the state of the file and how should the library recover it? If you start thinking about this question, itā€™s actually rather difficult. The intended file state canā€™t be persisted, so whatā€™s the next best state? That depends on your definition of ā€˜bestā€™. If you think, ā€œthe state before the error generating operation,ā€ then that may not be the answer, because there is no guarantee that that state was/could be persisted either. (With caching, even read calls can trigger write callsā€¦) This regression is not infinite, but the destination (recover to which state?) is less clear than it seems. Combine that with in-place modifications, and the state before the file was opened may no longer exist. Onion VFD introduces the concept of file versions but it is not intended as a recovery solution.

This forum is not a place where we accuse each other or personalize issues. We are all here to learn and find solutions where possible.

G.

Ok. One more try :slight_smile:

I have this experimental code now:

#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <filesystem>
#include <cstring>
#include <H5Cpp.h>
#include <windows.h>

void work(const std::string& path)
{
    // prepare everything
    const int desiredSize = 1024 * 1024 * 128;
    std::shared_ptr<uint8_t> data = std::shared_ptr<uint8_t>(new uint8_t[desiredSize], std::default_delete<uint8_t[]>());
    uint8_t* dataRaw = data.get();
    for (int i = 0; i < desiredSize; ++i)
    {
        dataRaw[i] = i % 256;
    }

// clean previous file

// do HDF stuff
    std::shared_ptr<H5::H5File> m_file;

// open file
    try
    {
        m_file = std::make_shared<H5::H5File>(path.c_str(), H5F_ACC_RDWR);
    }
    {
        m_file = nullptr;
    }

if (m_file == nullptr)
    {
        try
        {
            m_file = std::make_shared<H5::H5File>(path.c_str(), H5F_ACC_TRUNC);
        }
        {
            m_file = nullptr;
        }
    }

if (m_file == nullptr)
    {
        return;
    }

// write data
    {
        std::shared_ptr<H5::Group> group;
        try
        {
            group = std::shared_ptr<H5::Group>(new H5::Group(m_file->createGroup("H5::Group")));
        }
        {
            group = nullptr;
        }

if (group != nullptr)
        {
            std::shared_ptr<H5::DataSet> dataset;
            try
            {
                hsize_t dimensions[1] = { desiredSize };
                H5::DataSpace dataSpace(1, dimensions);
                dataset = std::shared_ptr<H5::DataSet>(new H5::DataSet(group->createDataSet("H5::DataSet", H5::PredType::NATIVE_UINT8, dataSpace)));
                m_file->flush(H5F_SCOPE_GLOBAL);
            }
            {
                m_file = nullptr;
                bool damn = true;
            }
        }
    }

// close
    if (m_file != nullptr)
    {
        try
        {
            m_file->close();
            m_file = nullptr;
        }
        {
            bool damn = true;
        }
    }
}

int main()
{
    work("O:/a.hdf5");
    work("D:/b.hdf5");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

I have a virtual hard drive mapped as O:/ and it has a capacity of 100 MBs. As expected, the first call to work(...) throws an exception because the write operation fails. That is ok as I can react to it. The second call is writing to a different location where available disk space is not an issue. That (probably) works. But when the main() function ends, the app crashes somewhere in HDF library. That is the problem I am facing now. Write operation to a.hdf5 does not only leaves a.hdf5 broken (that is expected) but the app crashes afterwards (that is not expected) and that is the reason I have doubts about the status of b.hdf5.

Thank you for the example. I would like to create a C example to see if that can reproduce the behavior. The assertion fails because the library loses track of the open object count in a file. H5Cpp.h doesnā€™t implement proper RAII, and I donā€™t want to be fooled by that.

G.

Can you try this with your drives?

#include "hdf5.h"

#include <stdint.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define SIZE (1024 * 1024 * 128)

int work(const char* path)
{
  int retval = EXIT_SUCCESS;

uint8_t* data = (uint8_t*) malloc(sizeof(uint8_t)*SIZE);

for (size_t i = 0; i < SIZE; ++i) {
    *(data+i) = i % 256;
  }

hid_t file = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((file = H5Fcreate(path, H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_file;
  }

hid_t group = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((group = H5Gcreate(file, "H5::Group", H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT,
                         H5P_DEFAULT)) == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_group;
  }

hid_t fspace = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((fspace = H5Screate_simple(1, (hsize_t[]) {(hsize_t) SIZE}, NULL))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_fspace;
  }

hid_t dset = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((dset = H5Dcreate(group, "H5::Dataset", H5T_NATIVE_UINT8, fspace,
                        H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_dset;
  }

if (H5Dwrite(dset, H5T_NATIVE_UINT8, fspace, fspace, H5P_DEFAULT, data) < 0) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_write;
  }
  printf("Write succeeded.\n");

if (H5Fflush(file, H5F_SCOPE_GLOBAL) < 0) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_flush;
  }
  printf("Flush succeeded.\n");

fail_flush:
fail_write:
  H5Dclose(dset);

fail_dset:
  H5Sclose(fspace);

fail_fspace:
  H5Gclose(group);

fail_group:
  H5Fclose(file);

fail_file:
  return retval;
}

int main()
{
  retval = work("./foo.h5");

return retval;
}

Thanks. I have adjusted main() function. It looks like this:

int main()
{
    retval &= work("O:/foo.h5"); // limited available space to force failure
    retval &= work("D:/foo.h5"); // lots of free space
    return retval;
}

It behaves similarly to C++ version. It asserts after finishing main(). Pictures follow:

Thanks for trying. This is a good data point. Would you mind trying this slightly modified version? All thatā€™s changed is the H5F_CLOSE_STRONG file close degree. Also, would you mind trying this code with HDF5 1.10.8? Iā€™m not sure if the reference counting logic has changed with the introduction of VOL in 1.12, but letā€™s just rule out that possibility!

Thanks, G.

#include "hdf5.h"

#include <stdint.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define SIZE (1024 * 1024 * 128)

int work(const char* path)
{

uint8_t* data = (uint8_t*) malloc(sizeof(uint8_t)*SIZE);

for (size_t i = 0; i < SIZE; ++i) {
    *(data+i) = i % 256;
  }

hid_t fapl = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((fapl = H5Pcreate(H5P_FILE_ACCESS))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_fapl;
  }
  if (H5Pset_fclose_degree(fapl, H5F_CLOSE_STRONG) < 0) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_file;
  }

hid_t file = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((file = H5Fcreate(path, H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, fapl))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_file;
  }

hid_t group = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((group = H5Gcreate(file, "H5::Group", H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT,
                         H5P_DEFAULT)) == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_group;
  }

hid_t fspace = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((fspace = H5Screate_simple(1, (hsize_t[]) {(hsize_t) SIZE}, NULL))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_fspace;
  }

hid_t dset = H5I_INVALID_HID;
  if ((dset = H5Dcreate(group, "H5::Dataset", H5T_NATIVE_UINT8, fspace,
                        H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT))
      == H5I_INVALID_HID) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_dset;
  }

if (H5Dwrite(dset, H5T_NATIVE_UINT8, fspace, fspace, H5P_DEFAULT, data) < 0) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_write;
  }
  printf("Write successed.\n");

if (H5Fflush(file, H5F_SCOPE_GLOBAL) < 0) {
    retval = EXIT_FAILURE;
    goto fail_flush;
  }
  printf("Flush succeeded.\n");

fail_flush:
fail_write:
  if (H5Dclose(dset) < 0) {
    printf("H5Dclose failed.\n");
  }

fail_dset:
  if (H5Sclose(fspace) < 0) {
    printf("H5Sclose failed.\n");
  }

fail_fspace:
  if (H5Gclose(group) < 0) {
    printf("H5Gclose failed.\n");
  }

fail_group:
  if (H5Fclose(file) < 0) {
    printf("H5Fclose failed.\n");
  }

fail_file:
  if (H5Pclose(fapl) < 0) {
    printf("H5Pclose failed.\n");
  }

fail_fapl:
  return retval;
}

int main()
{
    retval &= work("O:/foo.h5"); // limited available space to force failure
    retval &= work("D:/foo.h5"); // lots of free space
    return retval;
}

Unfortunately, there is no change with H5F_CLOSE_STRONG. Both 1.10.8 and 1.12.2 are unable to succesfully close file after write failure. H5Fclose(file) returns -1 and app crashes when itā€™s closed. Following screenshots are from 1.10.8

Screenshots from 1.12.2

Hi all,

Iā€™d like to help with this, but Iā€™m not seeing the error on my end (yet). Iā€™ve tried 1.10.8, the hdf5_1_10 branch (which will be 1.10.9 at the end of the month), and the develop branch (which will be 1.13.2 at the end of June). Every single one exits normally with a write failure error stack dump when the disk fills up. Iā€™m building HDF5 from source in debug mode via the Autotools + gcc 11.1.0 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

gdb confirms the normal exit:

[Inferior 1 (process 304971) exited normally]

To force the write failure, Iā€™m using a very small ramdisk.

Before:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /mnt/ramdisk

After:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           8.0M  8.0M     0 100% /mnt/ramdisk

Maybe this only rears its head on Windows? Has anyone seen this fail on a non-Windows system? Iā€™ll try the test program out on Windows when I get some free time (maybe later in the week or over the weekend). I have VS2022 on a Win 10 Pro box. Let me know if you are doing anything unusual when you build.

Hereā€™s the stack dump with the 1.10.8 branch (ignore the ā€œdevelopā€ in the source path - this really is 1.10.8, as you can see from the second line):

Writing to /mnt/ramdisk/foo.h5
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.10.8) thread 0:
  #000: ../../develop/src/H5Dio.c line 317 in H5Dwrite(): can't write data
    major: Dataset
    minor: Write failed
  #001: ../../develop/src/H5Dio.c line 801 in H5D__write(): can't write data
  #002: ../../develop/src/H5Dcontig.c line 628 in H5D__contig_write(): contiguous write failed
  #003: ../../develop/src/H5Dselect.c line 311 in H5D__select_write(): write error
    major: Dataspace
  #004: ../../develop/src/H5Dselect.c line 224 in H5D__select_io(): write error
    major: Dataspace
  #005: ../../develop/src/H5Dcontig.c line 1255 in H5D__contig_writevv(): can't perform vectorized sieve buffer write
    minor: Can't operate on object
  #006: ../../develop/src/H5VM.c line 1410 in H5VM_opvv(): can't perform operation
    major: Internal error (too specific to document in detail)
    minor: Can't operate on object
  #007: ../../develop/src/H5Dcontig.c line 999 in H5D__contig_writevv_sieve_cb(): block write failed
  #008: ../../develop/src/H5Fio.c line 150 in H5F_block_write(): write through page buffer failed
    major: Low-level I/O
  #009: ../../develop/src/H5PB.c line 1021 in H5PB_write(): write through metadata accumulator failed
    major: Page Buffering
  #010: ../../develop/src/H5Faccum.c line 831 in H5F__accum_write(): file write failed
  #011: ../../develop/src/H5FDint.c line 240 in H5FD_write(): driver write request failed
    major: Virtual File Layer
  #012: ../../develop/src/H5FDsec2.c line 864 in H5FD__sec2_write(): file write failed: time = Wed May 11 20:35:50 2022
, filename = '/mnt/ramdisk/foo.h5', file descriptor = 3, errno = 28, error message = 'No space left on device', buf = 0x7fb7868a6690, total write size = 125831552, bytes this sub-write = 125831552, bytes actually written = 18446744073709551615, offset = 0

1 Like