Error while compiling HDF4 with intel icx compiler

Hi, I was trying to compile HDF4-4.2.16, I am not getting any error while doing make(even though there are a number of warnings), but when I do make check it says a number of tests have been failed.
My system is:
Linux version 5.19.0-46-generic (Ubuntu 11.3.0-1ubuntu1~22.04.1)
icx: Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler 2023.1.0 (2023.1.0.20230320)
ifort: (IFORT) 2021.9.0 20230302
config.log (118.0 KB)
I have attached the log file. I am also attaching the output of make check.
check.txt (2.1 MB)
Commands used:

$ export CC=icc
$ export F77=ifort
$ ./configure --with-szlib=$HOME/szip --enable-fortran 
$ make
$ make check

I do not know what went wrong, in the config.log there are some errors, but I don’t know how to correct them. It will be great if anyone could help me.
Thankyou

In config.log: ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

The configure command has “–with-jpeg=/home/varsha/jpeg”. Does /home/varsha/jpeg/lib exist? If so, does it have libjpeg.so.9, or what files are in that directory?

Yes libjpeg.so.9 do exists. Other files are libjpeg.a, libjpeg.la, libjpeg.so and libjpeg.so.9 and libjpeg.so.9.5.0, there is also a folder named pkconfig with a file called libjpeg.pc.
Thankyou

We looked over the log files again. There was some other “fatal errors” in config.log. Adding --enable-hdf4-xdr to your configure command may take care of those. Please give that a try.

Hi,

I tried the command with -enable-hdf4-xdr, but I am still getting fatal errors in the config.log, in addition to this I am getting errors when I do the ‘make’ command. I am attaching the log file and output of make. Thank you.

config.log (117.3 KB)
make.txt (23.9 KB)

Hi, @varsha.felzy

First of all, you must disable Fortran.

I have no issue with icx.
See my GitHub workflow and test result.

Pay attention to the following line in the workflow:

./configure --enable-shared --enable-hdf4-xdr --disable-fortran --disable-netcdf CXX="$(which icpx)" CC="$(which icx)" FC="$(which ifx)" 

FC is not used but I added it in case you want to try Fortran.

Hi,

This is still giving me errors when I do ‘make’ command, similar to what I was getting before.
Thank you

Hi, @varsha.felzy !

Have you tried the latest patch release [1] or GitHub master branch [2]?
It would be nice if you can duplicate the error using GitHub Action and share the link.

[1] Release HDF 4.2.16-2 patch release · HDFGroup/hdf4 (github.com)
[2] HDFGroup/hdf4: Official HDF4 Library Repository (github.com)