are filters supported in 1.8.x?

kindest regards,

s-

···

** Sheshadri Mantha** |
Principal Software Engineer

Hi Sheshadri,

hi;
what sort of encryption methods are available for HDF5 - either builtin (are there any?) or extensions/add-ons?

I found the encryption filter as developed under Boeing project and am not sure if it is "latest", works... and if anyone has it compiled in Windows/VS8 environment.

are filters supported in 1.8.x?

We do support filters in general (in all the HDF5 releases), but there is no built-in encryption filter in HDF5. The work for the Boeing project was an initial attempt at a prototype that did this and might be a useful starting place for more work, but it's currently unsupported. One drawback of using an encryption filter is that only the raw data for datasets can be encrypted, all the rest of the metadata in the file (i.e. attributes, names of objects, etc.) is still stored as plaintext.

It would be interesting to pursue work on encryption in HDF5, both bringing the encryption filter up to production quality and also to do the work necessary to encrypt the file's metadata, but would require funding for the work.

Quincey

···

On Jul 9, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Sheshadri Mantha wrote:

kindest regards,
s-
--
Sheshadri Mantha | Principal Software Engineer

---------------------------------------------------------------------- This mailing list is for HDF software users discussion. To subscribe to this list, send a message to hdf-forum-subscribe@hdfgroup.org. To unsubscribe, send a message to hdf-forum-unsubscribe@hdfgroup.org.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
This mailing list is for HDF software users discussion.
To subscribe to this list, send a message to hdf-forum-subscribe@hdfgroup.org.
To unsubscribe, send a message to hdf-forum-unsubscribe@hdfgroup.org.