deployment to aws

I was following the instructions from here but the dockers did know start.
I set the env variables as explained in the sample .bashrc but I get these messages:

WARNING: The RESTART_POLICY variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The HEAD_RAM variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The HEAD_PORT variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The DN_RAM variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The DN_PORT variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The SN_RAM variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The RANGEGET_RAM variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The RANGEGET_PORT variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
ERROR: The Compose file './admin/docker/docker-compose.aws.yml' is invalid because:
services.dn.ports contains an invalid type, it should be a number, or an object
services.head.ports contains an invalid type, it should be a number, or an object
services.rangeget.ports contains an invalid type, it should be a number, or an object
1: waiting for server startup (status: 000) 

I saw that these variables where set in the admin/config/override.yml but it is not read by docker-compose.
Should I put these as environment variables too ?

Are you using the runall.sh script to start HSDS are you using docker-compose directly?
The runall.sh script should read values from override.yml and sets the appropriate env variables.

Let us know if that works for you.

Hi jready,

I was following the steps from the wiki. I ran the runall.sh script. But nowhere in this script I saw a read from override.yml. By the way I was using the v0.6.2 tag.

In the meantime I checked the master branch where this script is using the file override.yml. I will check with master branch on monday.

In the 0.6.2 release (and earlier) there was a “.env” file that contained default values for all the docker-compose environment variables. It seems more recent versions of docker-compose weren’t picking this up though. That would be a strange lack of backward compatibility with docker-compose, but I never dug into the details.

Anyway, try installing with the latest master. I like the new approach of reading from config.yml/override.yml since there’s no danger of docker-compose seeing a different value from what the container sees (the containers mount the config directory and read values from there).