CPP interface questions

Hi,

I'm familiarizing myself with the HDF5 C++ interface. I'm having trouble understanding why H5Location::getObjType() takes a void* reference to an object when I would expect it to refer to "this". Same holds for get/setComment(), etc. Seems they should be static methods if we're passing in the object pointer. What am I missing?

Also, when I specify a name (char*) to a method like H5Location::reference(), is it understood that it is a relative path from the current group (i.e., "this", assuming it is a group)? What if the name starts with '/'?

I want to stay entirely in C++.

Oscar

Hello Oscar,

"this" identifies the "dataset containing the object reference or the group containing that dataset." Please refer to the C function manual page for more details: https://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5R.html#Reference-GetObjType1

The HDF5 C++ API is a simple wrapper of the C API, thus, the argument name should follow the same syntax as the name in the C API. Please refer to this page for information about names: https://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5G.html

I hope this helps. Thanks,

Binh-Minh

ยทยทยท

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:36 AM
To: hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org
Subject: [Hdf-forum] CPP interface questions

Hi,

I'm familiarizing myself with the HDF5 C++ interface. I'm having trouble understanding why H5Location::getObjType() takes a void* reference to an object when I would expect it to refer to "this". Same holds for get/setComment(), etc. Seems they should be static methods if we're passing in the object pointer. What am I missing?

Also, when I specify a name (char*) to a method like H5Location::reference(), is it understood that it is a relative path from the current group (i.e., "this", assuming it is a group)? What if the name starts with '/'?

I want to stay entirely in C++.

Oscar