Construct H5 DataSpace to write to DataSet from buffer without Copy

I have a buffer (char array) in memory thats essentially the rows of a csv file.

The example csv file is say

A B C
1 1.0 matt
2 2.0 jack

For simplicity assume the column C is char arrays of length 5 bytes (4 ascii + null). The datatype of column A is uint8 (1 byte) and column B is float (4 bytes)

After reading the csv I have in memory (‘\n’) included.

1, 2.0, ‘matt’, ‘\n’, 2, 2.0, ‘jack’

What I would like is to go from that char array holding the raw bytes to an hdf5 file with 3 datasets within it. The datasets are called "A", "B", "C" respectively. I would like to do this with zero copy going straight from buffer to the respective dataset. My gut feeling is that I should be do this through mem_space argument of
H5::DataSet::write by using a H5::DataSpace::selectHyperslab. I just don’t understand how to do that. I just don’t understand how I am supposed to use H5::DataSpace::selectHyperslab here. I also don’t know if the hyperslab selection is going to be able to slice around the '\n'.

#include <H5Cpp.h>

// hex                         | 1  |           1.0         |           matt              |      \n    |  2  |           2.0         |          jack               |
const unsigned char buffer[] = {0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x80, 0x3F, 0x6D, 0x61, 0x74, 0x74, 0x00, 0x0A , 0x00, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40, 0x6A, 0x61, 0x63, 0x6B, 0x00};

H5::H5File* file = new H5::H5File("example.h5", H5F_ACC_TRUNC);

hsize_t dims[] = {1};
H5::DataSpace* dataspace = new H5::DataSpace(1, dims);

H5::DataSet* A = new H5::DataSet(file->createDataSet("/A", H5::PredType::NATIVE_UINT8, *dataspace));
H5::DataSet* B = new H5::DataSet(file->createDataSet("/B", H5::PredType::NATIVE_FLOAT, *dataspace));
H5::DataSet* C = new H5::DataSet(file->createDataSet("/C", H5::PredType::NATIVE_CHAR, *dataspace));

// ??? H5::DataSpace memspace();
// ??? memspace.selectHyperslab();
A->write(buffer, H5::PredType::NATIVE_UINT8, memspace);

B->write(buffer, H5::PredType::NATIVE_FLOAT, memspace);

C->write(buffer, H5::PredType::NATIVE_CHAR, memspace);

My naive understanding at the moment is, I construct one H5::DataSpace instance and can merely keep calling H5::DataSpace::selectHyperslab with varying stride, step, count. I think, I really don’t grasp what the stride, step, count stuff is. I come from python where its a lot easier but I need to do some c++ stuff. I expect to be able to do this without having to copy the contents of buffer instead 3 separate char arrays of length 2.

What I expect is that example.h5 contains three datasets where

A = [1, 2]
B = [1.0, 2.0]
C = ["matt", "jack"]

I don’t think selectHyperslab is what you want. Please see the description of H5Sselect_hyperslab() here HDF5: Dataspaces (H5S). I think you’ll need to parse the buffer to extract the values yourself, but maybe someone on the Forum knows of other ways.

Yeah, the more the read it, the more I understand that hyperslabs are selections of elements from homogenous arrays. Not by byte offsets. I was really hoping there was some way to write directly from a binary packed record type without having to create intermediate copies. I thought maybe that perhaps if the fields of the record type are fixed width then I’d be able to do it.

As an alternative someone mentioned maybe registering a conversion function

https://docs.hdfgroup.org/hdf5/develop/group___c_o_n_v.html#ga0a23a3cb9f24bd79fae7d2d8c412a25a