Clicking on an HDF5 file brings up an empty HDFView

Hi,
in older Version 2.11 on Windows I can click on an *.h5 file and hdfview.bat is called with full path of the file as paramter. And HDFView is started and opend the file.

But in Version 2.14 only an empty HDFView is shown.

I activated debugging and see in log:
[main] TRACE hdf.view.HDFView - main: rootDir = null
[main] TRACE hdf.view.HDFView - main: filelist - file = C:\Program Files\HDF_Group\HDFView\2.14.0\D:\Downloads\W3333\2018-03\W3333_180307_110047.h5

Correct would be:
[main] TRACE hdf.view.HDFView - main: filelist - file = D:\Downloads\W3333\2018-03\W3333_180307_110047.h5

I downloaded the source, and in hdf\view\HDFView.java the filename is combined by rootdir and the argument: tmpFile = new File(rootDir, args[i]);

My workaround ist to provide in hdfview.bat the property “hdfview.workdir” and as file argument only name.ext without path: -Dhdfview.workdir=%~dp1 hdf.view.HDFView %~nx1

start “HDFView” “%JAVABIN%\javaw.exe” %JAVAOPTS% -Xmx1024M -Djava.library.path="%INSTALLDIR%\lib" -Dhdfview.root="%INSTALLDIR%" -cp “%INSTALLDIR%\lib\fits.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\netcdf.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\jarhdf-3.3.2.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\jarhdf5-3.3.2.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\slf4j-api-1.7.5.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\slf4j-nop-1.7.5.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\HDFView.jar” -Dhdfview.workdir=%~dp1 hdf.view.HDFView %~nx1

with logging enabled:
start “HDFView” “%JAVABIN%\javaw.exe” %JAVAOPTS% -Xmx1024M -Djava.library.path="%INSTALLDIR%\lib" -Dorg.slf4j.simpleLogger.defaultLogLevel=trace -Dhdfview.root="%INSTALLDIR%" -cp “%INSTALLDIR%\lib\slf4j-simple-1.7.5.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\slf4j-api-1.7.5.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\fits.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\netcdf.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\jarhdf-3.3.2.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\jarhdf5-3.3.2.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\slf4j-api-1.7.5.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\slf4j-nop-1.7.5.jar;%INSTALLDIR%\lib\HDFView.jar” -Dhdfview.workdir=%~dp1 hdf.view.HDFView %~nx1

in the original line there is incorrect path to folder lib/extra:
%INSTALLDIR%\lib\extra\slf4j-nop-1.7.5.jar

but the slf*.jar are also in folder lib.

Peer

1 Like

I entered bug HDFVIEW-159 for this issue. We do not understand why a path is getting pre-pended to the file path, and will investigate this further.

Thanks!
-Barbara
help@hdfgroup.org

I had a similar experience as Peer with HDFView 2.14.
When I used 2.13, it opened my H5 file on Windows.
I did NOT attempt to debug or repair 2.14 installation as described by Peer.
I just uninstalled 2.14 and reinstalled 2.13
Regards,
-Ken

I have the same issue. Have you figured out how to fix this?

Can you try HDFView 3.0? It does not have this problem.

You can obtain it from here:
https://www.hdfgroup.org/downloads/hdfview/

-Barbara