Centos 5 gcc 4.8.2 error installing hdf 1.8.8

Hello,

I'm trying to compile hdf 1.8.8 on my CentOS 5 machine. I'm getting a lot of warnings and a final error when I try to compile hdf 1.8.8.

Configure command I've used is the following:

./configure --prefix=/share/apps/local/hdf5_1.8.8
I attach the suspicious log

configure:14906: result: no
configure:14910: checking for shl_load in -ldld
configure:14943: /share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2/bin/gcc -o conftest conftest.c -ldld >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldld
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:14943: $? = 1

configure:15327: $? = 0
/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2/lib/: cannot read file data: Is a directory

Check make log attached.

Here are compiler specs:

gcc -v

Using built-in specs.

COLLECT_GCC=gcc

COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.8.2/lto-wrapper

Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2 --with-mpfr=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2 --with-gmp=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2 --with-as=/share/apps/local/binutils/2.24/bin/as --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran

g++ -v

Using built-in specs.

COLLECT_GCC=g++

COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.8.2/lto-wrapper

Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2 --with-mpfr=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2 --with-gmp=/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2 --with-as=/share/apps/local/binutils/2.24/bin/as --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.8.2 (GCC)

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Guillermo.

nohup.out (5.52 MB)

Hello Guillermo,

Can you try the latest release of HDF5, version 1.8.12? You can obtain it from this page:

http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/release/obtainsrc.html

We see a problem in the output that you sent that was fixed a couple of releases ago.
We think it is the cause of the issue, and that using the latest release will solve this problem.

Let us know whether or not that helps.

Thanks!
-Barbara
help@hdfgroup.org

···

From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-bounces@lists.hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Marco Puche
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 8:25 AM
To: hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org
Subject: [Hdf-forum] Centos 5 gcc 4.8.2 error installing hdf 1.8.8

Hello,

I'm trying to compile hdf 1.8.8 on my CentOS 5 machine. I'm getting a lot of warnings and a final error when I try to compile hdf 1.8.8.

Configure command I've used is the following:

./configure --prefix=/share/apps/local/hdf5_1.8.8
I attach the suspicious log

configure:14906: result: no

configure:14910: checking for shl_load in -ldld

configure:14943: /share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2/bin/gcc -o conftest conftest.c -ldld >&5

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldld

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

configure:14943: $? = 1

configure:15327: $? = 0

/share/apps/local/gcc/4.8.2/lib/: cannot read file data: Is a directory
Check make log attached.

Here are compiler specs:

gcc -v

Using built-in specs.

COLLECT_GCC=gcc

g++ -v

Using built-in specs.

COLLECT_GCC=g++

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.8.2 (GCC)

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Guillermo.