Can't open an H5 file in HDFView

The h5 file that I have has the exact same structure as an hdf5 file (As it is the exact same thing), but HDFView doesn’t recognize it as a valid format if it doesn’t have the .hdf5 extension. Can I somehow change it so it opens normally?

HDFView is able to open HDF5 files that have different extensions.

Does the name of the file contain non-ascii characters? HDFView will not be able to open a file with unicode characters in the name (or in the path to the file).

Can you view the file with h5dump or other HDF5 tools?

-Barbara

I was having problems with this for some time, but I left it as it wasn’t a priority. I’ve recently opened the code and it turns out I didn’t close the datatype id for one of my datasets and it messed the entire file up. For some reason it didn’t show me the error when I compiled it. Weird, but now it works just fine. Thank You for the response though!

I’m not sure if this is the same issue, but after (just now) updating to HDFVeiw 3.1.0, I find that open doesn’t find the hdf5 files I want to examine. That is, if I click on open, even with the “All Files” button selected, I don’t see the files I want in the file selector. The naming convention (for FLASH files) is Name_hdf5_plt_cnt_xxxx where Name is some user chosen name and xxxx is a number with leading 0’s. If I search, it finds the files and opens them correctly. So it just seems to be a problem with the Open dialogue.