Building with java 11 without jpackage: ant binaryPackage does not work

The build instructions indicate to
ant run
ant binaryPackage
but my Linux environment has Java 11 and it does not seem to have jpackage…

how to obtain ./build/dist then?
is there a work around?
is it something that could be done manually?

https://adam-carroll.medium.com/java-packager-with-jdk11-31b3d620f4a8 describes building packages on Windows, macOS, and Linux using backport to Java 11.

Yes, I saw that too when I googled the matter.

The problem is that, not only I do not know Java, but hdfview is not even my personal project, I don’t know how it is structured, what is what or what to collect, etc. In other words, I wouldn’t know what command line options and arguments to pass to jpackager.

Having said, I did download jpackager and I could use it; so, if the hdfview developers could indicate how to use jpackager instead of the “ant binaryPackage” command, that would be great.

So, no takers on this one? :slightly_frowning_face:

Because of the various platforms and installation requirements packaging requires a minimum of java 17.

However if you do not need to package HDFView for distribution, ant run should be sufficient to create a local instance. (just locate the log file for the run target command)

Luckily, that is correct, I don’t need a formal package for distribution; that is why I am simply asking for somebody to tell what it is I could manually collect and just copy into some installation directory.

As it is, the “ant run” command did something and even launched hdfview, right after; but, when I looked at the ./build directory and look into some launch script there (/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/build/HDF_Group/HDFView/3.2.0/hdfview.sh), I just don’t see how it could have worked…the paths referenced there do not yet exist.

The ./build directory has the following sub-directories:
HDF_Group
classes
dist
jar
javadocs

but the dist/ directory is practically empty, since the command “ant binaryPackage” did not work.

If I look into the antoutput.log file, there is some command and an attempt to run jpackage, but it errors out as it was incompatible with the jpackage that I downloaded for use with Java 11.

In summary, my request can be formulated in a couple of ways:

• How it is the hdfview group provided a build for distribution before jpackage was available? Or,
  • What should I manually collect in the absence of jpackage ?

By the way, I am not a Java developer nor know java or ant or that stuff, I am just somebody who wants to build and use hdfview.

You need to only use the log after “ant run” and not attempt package.

Here is my “run”:
run:
[mkdir] Created dir: HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/build/jar/lib/ext
[java] Executing ‘/usr/lib/jvm/java-18-openjdk-18.0.1.0.10-1.rolling.fc35.x86_64/bin/java’ with arguments:
‘-Dorg.slf4j.simpleLogger.defaultLogLevel=trace’
‘-Dgwt.dummy.arg1=’
‘-Djava.library.path=HDF_Projects/temp/HDF_Group/HDF/4.2.15/lib:HDF_Projects/temp/HDF_Group/HDF5/1.10.10/lib’
‘-Dhdfview.root=HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/build/jar’
‘-classpath’
‘HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/fits.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/netcdf.jar:HDF_Projects/temp/HDF_Group/HDF/4.2.15/lib/jarhdf-4.2.15.jar:
HDF_Projects/temp/HDF_Group/HDF5/1.10.10/lib/jarhdf5-1.10.10.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/linux/x86_64/swt.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/common-image-3.3.2.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/common-io-3.3.2.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/common-lang-3.3.2.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/commons-logging-1.2.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/imageio-core-3.3.2.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/imageio-metadata-3.3.2.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/imageio-tiff-3.3.2.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.collections.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.core.commands.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.equinox.common.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.jface.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.nebula.widgets.nattable.core.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.osgi.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/slf4j-api-1.7.33.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/extra/slf4j-simple-1.7.33.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.apache.log4j.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.junit4_x.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.nebula.gallery.finder.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.nebula.nattable.finder.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.swt.finder.jar:HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/build/jar/hdfobject.jar:
HDF_Projects/hdfview-3_dev/build/jar/HDFView.jar’
‘hdf.view.HDFView’

Aaahh, ok.

Alright, I did just that; pulled the run command from antoutput.log and placed it into a launch script:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-11.0.15.0.9-2.el7_9.x86_64/bin/java \
-Dorg.slf4j.simpleLogger.defaultLogLevel=trace \
-Dgwt.dummy.arg1= \
-Djava.library.path=/usw/spgtools/hdf/4.2.15/centos7/lib:/usw/spgtools/hdf5/1.12.2/centos7/lib \
-Dhdfview.root=/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/build/jar \
-classpath \
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/fits.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/netcdf.jar:\
/usw/spgtools/hdf/4.2.15/centos7/lib/jarhdf-4.2.15.jar:\
/usw/spgtools/hdf5/1.12.2/centos7/lib/jarhdf5-1.12.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/linux/x86_64/swt.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/common-image-3.3.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/common-io-3.3.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/common-lang-3.3.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/commons-logging-1.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/imageio-core-3.3.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/imageio-metadata-3.3.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/imageio-tiff-3.3.2.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.collections.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.core.commands.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.equinox.common.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.jface.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.nebula.widgets.nattable.core.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.osgi.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/slf4j-api-1.7.33.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/extra/slf4j-simple-1.7.33.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.apache.log4j.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.junit4_x.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.nebula.gallery.finder.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.nebula.nattable.finder.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/lib/ext/swt/swtbot/org.eclipse.swtbot.swt.finder.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/build/jar/hdfobject.jar:\
/tmp/hdfview-3.2.0/build/jar/HDFView.jar  \
hdf.view.HDFView

It actually works :smiley:

I guess I can now start collecting only that and placing it in an installation directory. Let’s see if something happens to break as I move stuff over and something implicit read is left behind. We shall see.

Thanks.