Building HDF 4.2.11: “make check” shows segmentation fault caused by hdftest

I’m trying to build HDF 4.2.11 from source on Mac OS X 10.10.4. After running “./configure” and
“make”, I execute “make check”. At the top it says “All tests were successful.” but at the bottom
of the log it ends with:

···

============================
Testing hdftest
/bin/sh: line 1: 5693 Segmentation fault: 11 srcdir="." ./${tname} >> ${log} 2>&1
----------------------------
hdftest Test Log
Testing create/read/write compressed datasets (tcomp.c) PASSED
Testing create/read/write chunked datasets (tchunk.c) PASSED
Testing reading of netCDF file using the SDxxx inteface (tnetcdf.c) make[5]: ***
[hdftest.chkexe_] Error 1
make[4]: *** [build-check-s] Error 2
make[3]: *** [test] Error 2
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

When I run ./hdf-4.2.11/mfhdf/test/hdftest in a terminal I get:
Testing reading of netCDF file using the SDxxx inteface (tnetcdf.c) Segmentation fault: 11

I tried
./configure --disable-netcdf
(and also --disable-fortran and --enable-production) but this didn’t solve the problem.

Do you get the same error when you try to build from source? How can I fix this?

Background story:
I want to open an HDF4 file in Java, using GDAL. Whenever I do this, I get a segmentation fault
but it isn’t entirely clear what part of the chain (GDAL Java Native Bindings, GDAL, HDF4) is the
problem. So not getting a segmentation fault in make check is very important to eliminate a
potential error source.

Hello Christian,

We are aware of the problem you reported on the Mac OS X 10.10 and we are working on resolving it. As for now, you can temporarily bypass the problem by disabling the optimization.

$ env PROD_CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure
$ make
$ make check

Please let us know if you need further help on this issue.
Binh-Minh

···

Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:06 AM
To: hdf-forum@lists.hdfgroup.org
Subject: [Hdf-forum] Building HDF 4.2.11: “make check” shows segmentation fault caused by hdftest

I’m trying to build HDF 4.2.11 from source on Mac OS X 10.10.4. After running “./configure” and
“make”, I execute “make check”. At the top it says “All tests were successful.” but at the bottom
of the log it ends with:

============================
Testing hdftest
/bin/sh: line 1: 5693 Segmentation fault: 11 srcdir="." ./${tname} >> ${log} 2>&1
hdftest Test Log
Testing reading of netCDF file using the SDxxx inteface (tnetcdf.c) make[5]: ***
[hdftest.chkexe_] Error 1
make[4]: *** [build-check-s] Error 2
make[3]: *** [test] Error 2
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

When I run ./hdf-4.2.11/mfhdf/test/hdftest in a terminal I get:
Testing reading of netCDF file using the SDxxx inteface (tnetcdf.c) Segmentation fault: 11

I tried
./configure --disable-netcdf
(and also --disable-fortran and --enable-production) but this didn’t solve the problem.

Do you get the same error when you try to build from source? How can I fix this?

Background story:
I want to open an HDF4 file in Java, using GDAL. Whenever I do this, I get a segmentation fault
but it isn’t entirely clear what part of the chain (GDAL Java Native Bindings, GDAL, HDF4) is the
problem. So not getting a segmentation fault in make check is very important to eliminate a
potential error source.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hdf5