Question to future of HDF5DotNet

This email contained a .zip file attachment. Raytheon does not allow email attachments that are considered likely to contain malicious code. For your protection this attachment has been removed.

If this email is from an unknown source, please simply delete this email.

If this email was expected, and it is from a known sender, you may follow the below suggested instructions to obtain these types of attachments.

+ Instruct the sender to enclose the file(s) in a ".zip" compressed file, and rename the ".zip" compressed file with a different extension, such as, ".rtnzip". Password protecting the renamed ".zip" compressed file adds an additional layer of protection. When you receive the file, please rename it with the extension ".zip".

Additional instructions and options on how to receive these attachments can be found at:

http://security.it.ray.com/antivirus/extensions.html
http://security.it.ray.com/news/2007/zipfiles.html

Should you have any questions or difficulty with these instructions, please contact the Help Desk at 877.844.4712

···

---

Hello Mike,

The changes are very minor. I attached the complete header include
directory that I'm using to build HDF5DotNet with HDF5 v1.8.5. There is
a file called changes.txt which lists the files that have changes. If
you have a diff program like BeyondCompare, you can diff the whole
directory to see the updates. The changes are essentially a "#ifndef
HDF5_DOT_NET" statement before the public prototypes and function
declarations (with matching "#endif" statement afterwards). The reason
for it is that they are declared in the .NET wrappers as external calls
to the C library, so the compiler thinks there are two definitions.

The update should still allow normal compiling, but would then allow
simply dropping in new headers when compiling the HDF5DotNet library.
It would be fantastic if that was incorporated in a future release. It
would certainly make updating that much easier.

Thanks,
Jesse

On 8/4/2010 7:01 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:

What are the changes to the headers that you need?

-----
Mike Jackson www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer mike.jackson@bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software Dayton, Ohio

On Aug 4, 2010, at 20:41, Jesse Lai<jlai.matlab@gmail.com> wrote:

This question is aimed at the members of the HDFGroup and also to the community that uses the HDF5DotNet wrappers. I've seen a lot of traffic lately on questions about functionality that does not exist in the wrappers released with the initial release of HDF5 1.8.0. It has been noted that these wrappers were funded by a customer who did not require the full functionality. Therefore, not all of the functions exist. There are several useful ones that are currently not included. Additionally, it is clearly stated in the documentation that these wrappers are a prototype and are not officially supported.

As a side project, I've been doing some work to the HDF5DotNet source code to add some of these functions along with unit tests for the library to make sure things are working. I personally did not like the style in which the wrappers were written because it didn't conform to the .NET standard method of capitalization and other things. So I have updated my version of the library to change these things.

The question to the HDFGroup is this: what does the future hold for the HDF5DotNet wrappers? Is it something that might officially become a product that gets regular updates, or will it always just be the prototype wrappers? The main reason I ask is because I would like to see the ability to have a public source code repository where updates could be made to the wrapper source code. Does the HDFGroup have a Subversion repository that they would be willing to let the community use so that we could develop the HDF5DotNet library further? Or as another option, a public open source project site like Sourceforge could be used for the same purpose. I'd be willing to use my source code as the base because I prefer the styling. However, be aware that because of the naming changes I've made that it wouldn't be a drop in replacement to the current implementation of the HDF5DotNet wrapper.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the community and the HDFGroup on this subject. It seems that there could be some progress made on improving the library from the community, we just need a place for people to contribute and/or access the latest code. I'd vote for creating a Sourceforge project and going down that route, but I don't know if there are any restrictions in place from the HDFGroup.

As a side note, there are some very minor modifications that could be made to future versions of the header files that get released with the HDF5 binaries that would greatly simplify updates to the HDF5DotNet wrappers. It would not affect normal building of the HDF5 library either. It would be really great if that could get included.

Regards,
Jesse