HDF5DotNet issues

Hello,

I'm trying to use the HDF5DotNet wrappers in a .NET project. I'm making slow progress. But there are two big stumbling blocks...

1) Whenever I link to the debug versions of the hdf5 libraries, the HDF5DotNet code fails because the hdf5 type values (H5T_Native_UINT_g, etc.) are never set. But switching to the release version of the hdf5 libraries works just fine. This is true not just with my code, but the examples & test apps.

2) I never seem to get any of the Error stack messages, just the HDF5DotNet exceptions, which aren't very informative . I am not doing a suppressPrinting() and the HDF5DotNet .H5E interface doesn't allow me to turn it on. I fear that these messages to stderr in C are never reaching the .NET world.

But without the ability to dive into the code or see the error messages it is printing out, debugging ends up being heavy on the trial & error method.

Thanks,
Scott

···

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Scott

I see no one has replied to your analysis. I am busy now but will look into
this issue in the next several days.

I use VS2008 and HDF5 software without any issues. Our purposes are
production and not research and development so please be patient.

John huddleston, PhD

···

_____

From: Mitchell, Scott - AES [mailto:Scott.Mitchell@itt.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:25 PM
To: hdf-forum@hdfgroup.org
Subject: [hdf-forum] HDF5DotNet issues

Hello,

I'm trying to use the HDF5DotNet wrappers in a .NET project. I'm making slow
progress. But there are two big stumbling blocks.

1) Whenever I link to the debug versions of the hdf5 libraries, the
HDF5DotNet code fails because the hdf5 type values (H5T_Native_UINT_g, etc.)
are never set. But switching to the release version of the hdf5 libraries
works just fine. This is true not just with my code, but the examples & test
apps.

2) I never seem to get any of the Error stack messages, just the
HDF5DotNet exceptions, which aren't very informative . I am not doing a
suppressPrinting() and the HDF5DotNet .H5E interface doesn't allow me to
turn it on. I fear that these messages to stderr in C are never reaching the
.NET world.

But without the ability to dive into the code or see the error messages it
is printing out, debugging ends up being heavy on the trial & error method.

Thanks,

Scott

_____

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the
sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT
Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by
any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.36/2125 - Release Date: 05/20/09
18:03:00

Hi John,

I think the problem, (#1) anyway, is pretty simple. Because HDF5DotNet has all those explicit DllImport statements:
[DllImport("hdf5dll.dll",
           CharSet=CharSet::Auto,
           CallingConvention=CallingConvention::StdCall)]
extern "C" herr_t _cdecl H5Dclose(hid_t id);

And since the HDF5 debug libraries aren't named the same, hdf5ddll.dll vs. hdf5dll.dll, the link to the debug version doesn't work. I tested this by renaming the debug libraries to match the release version, and linked the DotNet dests test to the debug HDF5DotNet library and it worked.

As for #2, I haven't divined a solution yet. The above fix alone wasn't enough to solve it.

Scott

···

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:58 PM
To: Mitchell, Scott - AES; hdf-forum@hdfgroup.org
Subject: RE: [hdf-forum] HDF5DotNet issues

Scott

I see no one has replied to your analysis. I am busy now but will look into this issue in the next several days.

I use VS2008 and HDF5 software without any issues. Our purposes are production and not research and development so please be patient.

John huddleston, PhD

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:25 PM
To: hdf-forum@hdfgroup.org
Subject: [hdf-forum] HDF5DotNet issues

Hello,

I'm trying to use the HDF5DotNet wrappers in a .NET project. I'm making slow progress. But there are two big stumbling blocks...

1) Whenever I link to the debug versions of the hdf5 libraries, the HDF5DotNet code fails because the hdf5 type values (H5T_Native_UINT_g, etc.) are never set. But switching to the release version of the hdf5 libraries works just fine. This is true not just with my code, but the examples & test apps.

2) I never seem to get any of the Error stack messages, just the HDF5DotNet exceptions, which aren't very informative . I am not doing a suppressPrinting() and the HDF5DotNet .H5E interface doesn't allow me to turn it on. I fear that these messages to stderr in C are never reaching the .NET world.

But without the ability to dive into the code or see the error messages it is printing out, debugging ends up being heavy on the trial & error method.

Thanks,
Scott

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.36/2125 - Release Date: 05/20/09 18:03:00