Clarification on earlier email regarding compression

Dear Community,

We wanted to clarify an earlier email that was sent about a compression product in development. Our mission at The HDF Group is to ensure the sustainable development of HDF® technologies and the ongoing accessibility of HDF5-stored data. We are not removing compression feature from the HDF5 library. We are working on the development of a software package that includes pre-built shared libraries for six HDF5 filter functions (BZIP2, LZ4, ZFP, MAFISC, BLOSC and LZF) and corresponding compression libraries. The package offers the convenience of having popular compression algorithms as one downloadable package. This product would offer convenience and time savings in selecting a compression algorithm. We’re sorry for any confusion this may have caused, and as always, please stay in touch regarding your ideas, needs, or concerns about sustaining HDF technology.

The HDF Group

Hello THG,

This is interesting news. Since one of the filters mentioned there is ZFP…I am wondering if this new compression product will primarily be a re-packaging of existing filter implementations with convenience of pre-built binaries or whether THG expects/intends to perhaps also re-develop the associated filter plugins? I am assuming its mostly re-packaging of existing implementations but wanted to ask for more details :wink:

Hi Mark and All,

More clarification :slight_smile:

miller86

March 3
Hello THG,

This is interesting news. Since one of the filters mentioned there is ZFP…I am wondering if this new compression product will primarily be a re-packaging of existing filter implementations with convenience of pre-built binaries or whether THG expects/intends to perhaps also re-develop the associated filter plugins? I am assuming its mostly re-packaging of existing implementations but wanted to ask for more details :wink:

Yes, this is re-packaging of the existing implementation plus assurance that it works with every maintenance release of HDF5 on the platforms supported by THG, e.g., Windows.

Elena