Build error for hdf5-1.10.0 on RedHat 7.2: "No rule to make target `fortran/tf_gen.F90"

G'Day!

I'm no stranger to building hdf5 on different Linux clusters against openmpi with FORTRAN support, but I'm stuck with a strange problem that I haven't encountered before and for which I could not find any related posts on any hdf mailing list - nor with google in general for that matter.

About 84% into the build I get the error:

No rule to make target `fortran/tf_gen.F90'

a tail from the build log shows:

[ 84%] Built target hdf5_test_f90cstub-static
gmake -f fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/build.make fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/depend
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi'
cd /tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi && /opt/cmake/3.5.1/bin/cmake -E cmake_depends "Unix Makefiles" /home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0 /home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0/fortran/test /tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi /tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/fortran/test /tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/DependInfo.cmake --color=
Scanning dependencies of target hdf5_test_fortran-static
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi'
gmake -f fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/build.make fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/requires
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/requires'.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi'
gmake -f fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/build.make fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/build
[ 84%] Building Fortran object fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/tf.F90.o
cd /tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/fortran/test && /opt/openmpi/1.10.2/bin/mpifort -DNDEBUG -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi -I/home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0/src -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/bin -I/opt/openmpi/1.10.2/include/openmpi/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include -I/opt/openmpi/1.10.2/include/openmpi/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent -I/opt/openmpi/1.10.2/include/openmpi/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent/include -I/opt/openmpi/1.10.2/include -I/opt/openmpi/1.10.2/include/openmpi -I/opt/zlib -I/opt/szip/2.1 -I/opt/szip/2.1/include -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/fortran -I/home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0/fortran/src -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/bin/static -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/fortran/test -I/home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0/fortran/test -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/fortran/src -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/src -I/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi/test -I/home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0/test -fPIC -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wunderflow -Wimplicit-interface -Wsurprising -Wno-c-binding-type -s -O2 -O2 -g -DNDEBUG -J../../bin/static -fPIC -c /home/tux/src/hdf5/hdf5-1.10.0/fortran/test/tf.F90 -o CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/tf.F90.o
/opt/cmake/3.5.1/bin/cmake -E cmake_copy_f90_mod bin/static/th5_misc fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/th5_misc.mod.stamp GNU
/opt/cmake/3.5.1/bin/cmake -E touch fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/tf.F90.o.provides.build
gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target `fortran/tf_gen.F90', needed by `fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/__/tf_gen.F90.o'. Stop.
gmake[1]: *** [fortran/test/CMakeFiles/hdf5_test_fortran-static.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tcc1/proj/gaiaclim/src/hdf5/mybuild-1.10.0-gcc-mpi'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

I have a RedHat 7.2 system in a VM environment (for once not a cluster) with

gcc 4.8.5 + gfortran

openmpi 1.10.2 (which gives the same error as with 1.10.0)

cmake 3.5.1

unmodified source tarball for hdf5-1.10.0

I'm attaching an archive that contains

- a description of the build setup (bulding-hdf5-1.10.0-on-RHEL72.txt)

- the error snippet from above (error.txt)

- the full build log (mybuild-hdf5-1.10.0-gcc-4.8.5-mpi-10.0.2.log)

- relevant parts of the build directory (mybuild-1.10.0-gcc)

Any hints on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Art

Any email message from EUMETSAT is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by EUMETSAT, except where provided for in a written agreement or contract or if explicitly stated in the email. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of EUMETSAT. This message and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, dissemination or distribution (in whole or in part) of its contents is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.

hdf5-1.10.0-failed-build.tar.gz (2.64 MB)