Announcing development of the Enterprise Support Edition of HDF5

Currently the only way for a non HDF Group staff to submit a patch to HDF5 is via email / forum. Is the plan to allow external users accounts on your Bitbucket server so we can submit proper pull requests to HDF5 CE? I imagine this would happen in conjunction with opening up JIRA to external users.

Regards,
Christian

This is my number one pet peeve with HDF5. It’s immensely annoying with all these mail threads that end with “We’ve filed this as issue XXXX”, which is essentially a black hole to an outsider. There’s no way to subscribe to bugs, take part in or observe the process of their resolution or anything.

Elvis,

We have been working on opening HDF5 JIRA (20 years of issues :wink: to the public. We understand your disappointment, but we need time to accomplish the job. I hope the work will be completed by September 2018, but I cannot promise.

Thank you for your patience!

Elena

Yep Elena, I know you’re working on it, which is great. And I understand it probably takes some work considering the long history/established processes et.c.

All,

I would like to remind everyone that HDF5 is on GitHub and we encourage you to contribute to it. If you find a problem please feel free to open an issue on GitHub.

Our JIRA HDF5 tickets are open to the community. You need to register on our website to get access. If you know that an issue is there and you cannot see it, please send email to help@hdfgroup.org and we will fix permissions on the issue.

And finally, please remember that there is only one HDF5 core library and it stays open and free of charge.

Thank you!

Elena

1 Like

Security patches go to ESE first and the to CE “periodically”? What does that mean exactly? Sounds horrible.

I’m not sure what you are talking about, and maybe you aren’t either. There is no ESE. Nor is there a CE. There is only one HDF5 code base with multiple release branches. OK? G.